Author Topic: Oil capacity with the Filter on C9  (Read 14067 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Oil capacity with the Filter on C9
« on: June 13, 2016, 08:03:21 PM »
I am having my engine PM'd getting ready for a trip. This is the first time I have not had my son (diesel mechanic) do it. The manual says the oil capacity is 37 quarts with the filter. I'm positive that's what we put in on previous changes. The service center called me and said it only took 28 quarts to the fill marker on the dip stick. Is this an instance of the fill line being for the OEM CAT application, and it's not accurate with the application in my Beaver? I have read that the fill line needs to be calibrated (?). What should I tell my service guy?

Thank you.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Edward Buker

Re: Oil capacity with the Filter on C9
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 08:29:41 PM »
Stan,

I think 34 quarts is right but there is a gallon in the filter and if they have not started the engine and filled the filter with oil then that would get you to 32 quarts after they shut down and let the oil refill the pan and check it again. It takes some time to get it all to drain, that could account for a little. Some Cat engines like a C12 had a shallow and deep sump pan option and RVs like ours had the shallow sump for clearance. Not sure that is a C9 option.

Later Ed
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 09:16:41 PM »
Stan our Contessa 07 with a 06 c9 engine has always taken 34 quarts including the filter. We did recalibrate our dip stick.
Hope this boosts your confidence. Good luck, Bryan
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present
2007 Contessa 42ft Cat C-9 400hp
1996 to 2006 97 Beaver Patriot Camden

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 09:42:23 PM »
Henderson's changed my oil and filter last fall, and it took 34 qts. of 15-40, Stan.  The last time BCS did it they used 30 qts.  A couple other services by Peterson's and another diesel truck facility in Utah used standardized "kit" charges that didn't report specific quantities of oil used, so they're no help here, unfortunately.  So I'd just take Ed's and Bryan's comments to heart, carry some spare oil on board and watch the level for a few miles, or run the engine in-place to warm and check again after its had plenty of drain back time.

Our old Pace Arrow had the issue, as a stick "recall", but we just refilled a prescribed amt. on the next change and scribed a new fill mark on the stick.

That said, when our Monterey was new I'd heard rumors also about a possible wrong mark on the stick, but don't remember having to actually do anything with ours, other than I recall there was an initial problem with the dipstick not seating all the way down on our Monterey, and BCS made adjustments.  Turning the handle left or right can change the head tension that resists any springback caused by unintentional bends in the stick or even the tube.  So check that the tube head as well as the stick are properly seated, just in case.

Joel
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 09:45:56 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 04:18:49 PM »
Thanks for the help, gentlemen. Appreciated.  :)
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Mark Bryant

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 07:51:44 PM »
Stan
Just did mine yesterday and it took 8.5 Gal, 34 Qts.