Author Topic: Momentary dash black out.  (Read 9218 times)

Jeremy Parrett

Momentary dash black out.
« on: May 16, 2016, 05:37:57 AM »
 Silverleaf ,speedo ,rev counter ,dash illumination, Pioneer cd /radio etc momentarily blacked out. Radio folded up but good old C12 kept  running  !!   A few minutes later everything came back to life !!   This happened twice today en route from Pacific Dunes .Oceana CA to Monterey.CA
   Before this happened I noticed my voltmeter slowly dropped to 11 volts  or less.   I have noticed the voltmeter registering lower voltages intermittently before .  Voltmeter is nearly new.  Coach and chassis batteries are all less than 6 months old. 
  My coach is a 2000 Marquis Amethyst.     Help !!!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Momentary dash black out.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 06:18:12 AM »
First things I'd check are the "new" battery connections and the chassis ground, and the connections at the alternator; then you may have an alternator gone bad, which could be why you needed new batteries to start with.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Mike Groves

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 02:02:24 PM »
When you say you noticed the voltage dropping slowly to 11V, did you see that on the Silverleaf as an alarm condition.

I ask because when my alternator went bad the second time after having been rebuilt less than a couple months prior, the Silverleaf popped up the indicator of battery voltage and it was showing around 12.3 or so, and it proceeded to decrease.  When we stopped for dinner, I switched off the C12, but wanted to run the generator to help fix dinner in the microwave and it wouldn't start (turnover), and neither would the C12.  I tied in the house batteries and got the generator running, then we fixed dinner and by that time the C12 would again start with the generator running.  I left the generator on.  Our alternator had burnt up once again, and the shop determined that for some reason the alternator remained at hi output (over 15V) and they couldn't determine why since it worked fine on their test bench.  Their fix was to limit the output of the alternator to 14.2 no matter what the incoming request was.

As documented on the forum before, something in my system takes a volt away from me by the time the alternator charge hits the batteries so my Silverleaf now reads from 12.7/8 to 13.2 while driving which is my new normal until I finally trust somebody to figure out the issue rather than simply throw time at it.  For 2 years now I've gotten away with merely have 13.2 volts charging to the chassis batteries.  I keep promising myself to check the ground connection on the chassis.  Where is that anyway?

Mike

William Ervin

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 05:15:47 PM »
I'd start worrying if my silverleaf was showing a reading of 13.2 or less on a consistent basis.  My average voltage readings are between 13.8 to 14.2

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 03:19:13 AM »
Joel,
 I replaced the coach batteries 6 months ago as they were bulging !!! 
 I replaced the chassis batteries 2 months ago after the Echo charger failed ( fuse fell apart as mentioned somewhere else here )  They were drained to less than 3 volts on my tester.  Batteries don't like that !!
 My alternator could be faulty but it would not cause a complete blackout of the dash,radio and silverleaf.
The Silverleaf did not "pop up with a voltage alarm".   It just shut off like a switch had been opened.
 My battery connections are all tight and well protected with the red spray !!
 Today I replaced the 85 amp 12 volt continuous duty ignition solenoid. I will replace the ignition breaker when I can find it !!
 Tomorrow we drive from Monterey to San Francisco and hope the issue is resolved !! If it happens again it must be the ignition breaker. 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 03:23:48 AM by Jeremy Parrett »

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 03:50:33 AM »
Jeremy,
If the ignition solenoid fails you will not only loose your instrument panel, but the engine will die. The highest probability that the problem that you described was caused by an automatic resetting circuit breaker in the LF electrical bay if you are sure that your alternator is OK.

Gerald

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 01:58:20 PM »
Jeremy:
              I want to pass on, my experience with my 2001 Beaver Marquis concerning a very similar situation.
              On my 01, I had momentary loss of the Silverleaf information also the condition included a loss of our drivers heating and cooling controls along with a few other dash items it. I replaced the Constant Duty Solenoid in the electrical bay and that was the end of my problems. The advice to replace the solenoid came from Roy Mueller.
               Regarding your Voltage, my problem was somewhat the opposite. I had fluctuating voltage, 13.2 up to 15.5 at the highest. This condition over charged my batteries. The problem was a bad Sense Wire which is important on the Leese-Neville Duvac Alternator system. I had Southeast Power Systems in Altamonte Springs in Florida analyze my problem. They put in a new Sense Wire and relay from the batteries to the alternator. End of voltage problems, my voltage remained steady at 14.2 volts. Southeast Power Systems has an electrical department that has vast knowledge, I highly recommend them, ask for Buck, he manages this department.
               After this charging problem, I swathed to AGM batteries to eliminate acid problems.

Hope this helps.                Larry Dedrick 
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
2008 Beaver Marq. Amethyst
Cat C15

Mike Groves

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 02:09:31 PM »
Larry,

Your description certainly sounds like the problem with mine.  Mine currently has a bandaid on it which limits the alternator's output.  Do you have any idea where this relay is?

Mike

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 01:30:13 AM »
Mike:
           The relay I speak of was installed when they put in a different Sense wire. Without the relay the sense wire was not isolated and would cause voltage flow from batteries to alternator and drain the batteries. The way this was detected was to put a screw driver across the alternator pulley and it was magnetic, which you don't want, hence the need for the relay.
           The fix seemed to be quite simple for the experts. End of voltage problems.

Larry D
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
Cat C15

Mike Groves

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 06:01:29 PM »
I'll see if mine is magnetic.  I assume you mean that if parked, the battery connection to the alternator will magnetize that pulling indicating there is something wrong.

Thanks! Mike

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 01:48:48 PM »
Mike:
              Yes, I should have stated, with engine off. However, the New sense wire, from batteries to the alternator was causing the alternator to become magnetic due to drawing voltage from the battery. So the Relay was installed to prevent this when the engine was shutdown.

Larry D
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
Cat C15

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2016, 12:38:28 AM »
   Fixed !!  It was the Ignition Solenoid.  An  85 amp insulated type cost $45.00 from NAPA.  Took 15 minutes to install.  Now the Silverleaf,voltmeter,RPM gauge etc all work as they should.  My guess is this solenoid has been failing ever since we bought the coach in 2010  !!!!