Author Topic: A/C  (Read 4899 times)

Wes Barager

A/C
« on: May 28, 2016, 11:48:57 PM »
Dash Air Blow's Cold  45 seconds  Then Shuts Off  ,   Turn Off Few Minutes .   Turn Back On Same thing   ????   Where is Blower ?  Cond.?

Gerald Farris

Re: A/C
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 01:49:15 AM »
Wes,
You did not say what coach you have, but the blower motor is located under the dash to the driver's side of center on most coaches. However, I doubt that the blower motor is your problem. If it quits on just one or two speeds, it might be the blower motor resister that is locater behind the front cap. But if it quits on any speed, I would suspect a switch in the control panel or a circuit breaker. Regardless, you will need to take a meter and trace the circuit to see where you are loosing power at. I would start at the blower motor to be sure that it is loosing power, and work my way back up the circuit.

Gerald   

Jerald Cate

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 03:27:13 AM »
Wes,

My dash AC was doing similar things on my return trip from FL earlier this year.  When I went to the HI fan setting for the dash AC the fan would shut off, switch to a lower speed and it would start running again.  I don't understand what one has to do with the other but my AC compressor eventually locked up and also took out the serpentine belt.  Got everything repaired (compressor, evaporator, AC recharged, new serpentine belt) and it all works fine now.  Not disputing what Gerald said just relating my experience.  I would suggest you turn off your dash air compressor until you can get it serviced.  Might save you a hefty AC bill.

Sad voice of experience

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 04:19:38 AM »

That symptom sounds like a thermal breaker turning on and off with load. The blower could be pulling more current if failing, resistive speed control possibly has issues, or the breaker itself failing to handle normal current would cause cycling at some frequency and then reset. I would try changing the blower thermal circuit breaker if it has one, they are inexpensive and that would rule that out.

Later Ed

Doug Allman

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 02:05:51 PM »
I am with Jerald or Bruce Cate. Same experience and now replacing compressor and all else to get it going again. Shut it off to save very possible a lot of cash. Have A/C shop look at and possibly just needs to be recharged. I knew ours was low due to quality of air coming in but did not know you would take out compressor if you continued to run it. I do know.

The rubber bushings on the compressor melted and the serpentine shredded but stayed enough intact that until we stopped and saw strings of belt sticking out the rear engine cover we never knew it happened. They wanted $1500.00 in Yuma to repair. We bought new compressor on internet for $150.00 and went to Florida and home to Michigan with roof air working. Needed new compressor to be able to run serpentine belt. My A/C man here will fix for approx $600 total.