Author Topic: Transynd  (Read 13156 times)

William Ervin

Re: Transynd
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 05:29:10 PM »
Parts Plus has a new Synthetic ATF that meets the TES-295 and TES-389 requirements for around $23 for a gallon.    Does it have the Allison stamp of Approval?... I'm not sure I give even a little Poo about that, considering Allison gets a cut of the profits on approved fluids. 

Joel Weiss

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 08:11:07 PM »
Parts Plus has a new Synthetic ATF that meets the TES-295 and TES-389 requirements for around $23 for a gallon.    Does it have the Allison stamp of Approval?... I'm not sure I give even a little Poo about that, considering Allison gets a cut of the profits on approved fluids.

With all due respect, the Parts Plus webpage for this product doesn't quite say that it meets TES-295 only that it can be used in TES-295 applications which is not the same thing.  http://www.partsplus.com/msds/amalie/specs/Parts%20Plus%20Univ%20Syn%20ATF%20130607.pdf

I'm sure that the fluids vendors have to pay to have their products certified as TES-295 compliant,  but I'm curious where you get your information that Allison gets a cut of the profits.

And even if they do,  TES-295 fluids are a major advancement in automatic transmission fluid formulation that Allison helped fund.  Yes, they are expensive relative to Dexron but so are most synthetic lubricating oils when compared with standard products.  No one is forcing anyone else to switch his transmission to TES-295 fluids, but neither is there any reason, other than cost, not to do so IMO.  Why would anyone NOT want reduced operating temperatures and longer lifetime?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 08:43:28 PM by Joel Weiss »

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2016, 09:07:44 PM »
Reduced operating temperatures and longer lifetimes, eh?  Should I take it morning and night, and how much?
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!
The following users thanked this post: Bryan Schmidt

Edward Buker

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2016, 09:10:00 PM »
I did a little reading and at least it states that it is a full synthetic ATF oil. What concerns me is that it looks like the strategy was to come up with an ATF that is considered universal. They state a dizzying array of suitability from Mercedes to BMW to Honda, GM, etc, etc. along with Allison TES295 applications. I can see why marketing wants this kind of one size fits all, why corporate would want this for profit motives, but there has to be considerable compromises made to be quote "universal" in so many applications. No other major source of ATF that I see makes this kind of claim. If Mobil, Castrol, and Shell dare not do this then you have to wonder about Parts Plus.

While it may be a very good ATF, I would maybe use it in my car or a hydraulic system. I would be concerned about a worst case kind of application like an Allison 3000 or 4000 AT just due to the expense of replacement of that transmission.

You know Parts Plus will never pay, but then I am a conservative kind of guy and maybe others will go where I dare not go. The question would be if you are continuing to use Dexron based on cost then there is probably a good case to be made that this is better... Question is what change interval would you use?

It may be worth a call to Parts Plus engineering and ask the background on this fluid. Has it ever been TES295 tested? Not sure they will share but maybe.

Later Ed

William Ervin

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2016, 02:05:01 AM »
I'm not recommending.... just throwing it out there... YMMV.

I just did a Filter/fluid change with DEX III or I might have gone for it myself, but that's just me ;)

Bill
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 04:19:49 AM by William Ervin »

Edward Buker

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 12:48:10 PM »
Bill,

Glad you threw it out there, it was food for thought. My conservative nature may be all wrong here and they may have done their homework. It is encouraging that it is a full synthetic. Just hard to know for sure without some independent testing and certification results...maybe that will come in time. There was a "Bob The Oil Guy" if I remember some prior posts right, that did the TS295 work. He would be a good one to have weigh in on this maybe...

Later Ed