Author Topic: How to replace coax in ceiling  (Read 3586 times)

Jeff Watt

How to replace coax in ceiling
« on: July 08, 2016, 06:16:28 PM »
I have a problem regarding my satellite system and I hope I can describe it adequately.

I have a 07 Patriot Thunder Hanover so the main TV is mid coach. The satellite dish is mounted in the front of the coach and the coax from it comes into the cabinet above the passenger seat.

The way my system works is the satellite controller (an Explorer system for my Shaw Direct - Canadian) is a gps based unit and it requires a satellite receiver to be able to do this. There are coax coming into the coach from the roof with one going to the bedroom sat receiver and the others are for the main mid-coach receiver. The Explorer takes one of the coax feeds - from there 2 coax, one direct from dish and one from Explorer controller, go through the ceiling to the mid coach tv/sat receiver.

The issue I have is one of the coax lines from this front compartment that goes to the mid-coach area is faulty. Consequently the Explorer unit will/can not utilize its GPS capability and therefore will not lock on a satellite.

So I am wondering if anyone knows how to replace a coax buried in the ceiling? I have thought about feeding a new coax cable through the A/C vents as there is one in the front cabinet as well as an outlet in the mid-coach TV area - but this seems a little bit of farmer fix although would be better than having a coax laying across the floor.

I know the cable that is faulty, so should I first try to remove the ends and replace them - lots of cable so cutting a few inches off isn't an issue.

Thanks
Jeff
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 06:26:58 PM by Jeff Watt »

Gerald Farris

Re: How to replace coax in ceiling
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 06:59:23 PM »
Jeff,
If the coax ohms out good, I would replace the connectors with a good quality compression connector and avoid the cheap crimp type connectors that Beaver used because they are very problematic, especially with high frequency signals. However, If the cable shows an open or a shorted circuit when tested with an ohm meter, I would run a new coax through the A/C duct work.

Gerald

Jeff Watt

Re: How to replace coax in ceiling
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 07:05:15 PM »
Thanks Gerald.

I'll test out the coax and failing that will route through the a/c ducts.

Jeff