Author Topic: Dash Air Conditioner Evaporator  (Read 8249 times)

Dan n Lisa Lund

Dash Air Conditioner Evaporator
« on: May 24, 2016, 12:26:36 AM »
Hello all. Its been a while since I have been on here. Hope everyone is doing well. I am having an issue and I know that someone has an answer for me. How hard is it to replace the dash air evaporator. DO I access it from the top of the dash? If anyone has done this and has advice please let me know. I have a refrigerant leak.

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
Re: Dash Air Conditioner Evaporator
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 04:41:20 AM »
I have a 2001 Contessa so not sure on yours. My evaporator is up under the front cap....
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 08:57:08 AM »
Dan
Not sure where that evaperator is.  Good question though as we have a leak as well.  I will see about my system tomorrow and get back to you. 
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

William Ervin

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 03:03:58 PM »
Dan

Most older coaches have an access into the front Cap, don't know if yours does, but it depends on how the unit was mounted to the front wall inside the cap.  Is it mounted from the front or back?  Nuts and bolts or studs mounted to the wall.  All that determines how big of a job its going to be.   Have you done a dye check to see if that is where the leak actually is? 

I had a long running battle with my AC and finally tracked it down to one or more of the schrader valves leaking.  I evacuated the system, replaced all the valves and recharged the system... Wallah the leak was gone.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 05:13:51 PM by William Ervin »

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 03:47:30 PM »
Dan,
If you are positive that the evaporator core is your leak, it is not an easy repair and it is preformed mostly from inside the coach with a little from under the coach between the front cap and dash. The part from under the coach on most coaches is difficult to impossible if you weigh more than 200 lbs.

The part from inside the coach requires removing the top of the dash, and cutting an access hole. if it has not already been cut through the wooden plate that separates the dash from the void behind the front cap. After removing the top of the dash, you will see a small inspection hole that is covered with thin plywood. Remove the thin plywood and you can see the evaporator case area. Then very carefully cut an access hole through the plate for the needed access and save the removed piece for reinstallation. Be very careful when making the cut because the saw can damage components below the plate.

If you are not familiar with this type of work, you may benefit from seeking an expert.

Gerald     

Doug Allman

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 04:54:19 PM »
Gerald, I burnt up the A/C compressor in AZ last year and we are now getting ready to purge and recharge system. Have new Compressor on so can run serpentine to get home but only for free wheel bearing needs of compressor.

I believe we should change out the part in the firewall area, cant think of the name of it now, before we recharge. I believe the evaporator unit (looks like a radiator) is low down in the firewall area in the drivers side of the coach.

I am sure we had a leak small leak as when purchased in 2012 it was very cold and just continued to get warmer each year.

Dan n Lisa Lund

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 04:03:58 AM »
I did run a couple of dye cans through the system. They leaked out right on the Onan gen external start switch. So I know that it is coming from the Evaporator area. Last year I had the console out and could see the evaporator and the blend door. I cleaned the evaporator the best I could and it was a mess then with lots of lint and debris in it. It looked like it had never been cleaned. I was worried about it then as a possible point of trouble but it worked good for the rest of the summer. I have an appointment at Massey's for June 2nd. I know that they do great chassis work but not sure about their interior capabilities. Has anyone had Massey's do interior work? Keith please let me know what you find out. Who is doing your repair? Thanks for all the responses. It helps. We are going to San Diego Friday so we will leave Phoenix early enough to beat the heat. Not sure about the trip back. May have to run the house air to get home.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 10:45:26 AM »
Dan, I will get to it tomorrow.   Seems like you found your evaporater.  We have been catching up on more important items and the dash A/C is low priority for us.  I have been able to refill the coolant yearly and it does ok.  I have not done the dye test.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

George H. Wall

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 01:12:57 PM »
Keith, Where is your recharge valve located? I feel my unit needs a recharge and I understand the recharge valve may be in several locations. Mine is a 2002 model year also, so you may give me a place to start looking.  Henry

Jim Houghton

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 03:49:00 PM »
I have an 03 Contessa and the low pressure port is located just above the generator front access area towards the passenger side (front access generator). The high pressure port is located above the condenser access is from underneath behind the step. Not sure if yours is the same but may give you a place to start looking.
2021 Entegra Cornerstone
2003 Beaver Contessa Tuscany (sold)
Pleasant View, TN :)

William Ervin

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 04:19:00 PM »
Dan

Before you take apart your dash and start cutting holes, get into the front cap and look for a High or low pressure port above were you leak is.  From pictures of similar coaches to yours you don't have a front access other that the gen access slide or crawling under  (designed by someone who didn't have to work on the coach :( )  but its worth a look to see if the dye is coming out of the evaporator cover or out of the port.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 11:51:36 PM »
Keith, Where is your recharge valve located? I feel my unit needs a recharge and I understand the recharge valve may be in several locations. Mine is a 2002 model year also, so you may give me a place to start looking.  Henry
On the Marquis there are fill valves in the engine compartment above the compressor.  These are accessable from the engine door.  We had a Patriot and the fill valves were in the same place but there was some possibility that they had been added there.  There were valves in the generator  slide out area as well if I remember correctly.  You might (if your generator slides out the front) bring it all the way out and check around it.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

William Ervin

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 12:04:13 AM »
My 96 Pat has high and low ports near the compressor and a low port up front near the evaporator, but it also has an access panel to the front cap above the genset. 

Evidently the guy that designed it was thinking of those that had to work on it.

Bill

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 04:05:47 AM »
Dan
Sorry I am so late with this.  I found what appears to be the evaporator.  This unit is perhaps 1 inch thick and about 22inch sq. with a fan in front of the fins.  It is located about four feet directly behind the front license plate and sits behind two air tanks. 
Very odd that this is not covered at all.  Just sits completely exposed.

Hope this helps some.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!