Author Topic: Tire Recommendations??  (Read 9647 times)

Dick Simonis

Tire Recommendations??
« on: May 24, 2016, 06:04:58 PM »
I'm currently running Toyo 12R 22.5 tires in all positions and thinking about replacing the fronts this year while we're in OR.  The current fronts will be moved to the tag.  For those of you with this size, what options did you find for replacement tires.

I did look into dropping to a slightly smaller size but the size and load capacity doesn't seem to be compatible with the coach....at least for the fronts but I could easily step down a size for the drive and especially the tag which is way under-loaded.

Edward Buker

Re: Tire Recommendations??
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 06:43:46 PM »
Dick,

I think the tire you may want to consider for your fronts are Toyo M-144, 295/80R-22.5 tires. I am running these in all positions on a 2002 Marquis non tag axle. Single up to 7830lbs at 125lbs. The 12Rs are 7290lbs at 120lbs. Not sure what your front axle weight is, but thought I would pass this along....

https://toyotires2-1524598101.netdna-ssl.com/assets/lib:toyo%20content/rv_inflation_tables.pdf

Later Ed

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 09:50:00 PM »
After considerable research, I had Bob Dickman's in Junction City put on all M144's last fall.  As I understood it, the M144 is a redesign of an earlier Toyo model made for the trucking industry, that wore badly when used on motorhomes.  The M144 theoretically is re-compounded accordingly and has a more RV-friendly tread and sidewall configuration.  Henderson's Line-up in Grant's Pass discouraged the Toyo purchase initially, but admitted that opinion was based on their experience only with the earlier model tire.

I regret that I don't recall specifics, but a call to Dickman's (Junction City Les Schwab) should reap more information.  The M144's were considerably less money than Michelins, even with the Michelin FMCA discount program.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dick Simonis

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 10:10:35 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Calling around I did find a dealer in Lebanon that handles the Hankook and can get them in the 12R size.  I will look into the 295/80 size also.  Les Schwab in Lebanon has a Toyo 170Z so I do have options.

What is the benefit of the 295/80 over the 12R?  I see the diameter is a little less (~1.2") so a small speed error.  All the tires seem to be in the 450 to 550 range.

Speaking of tires....why do we need such a heavy duty tire on the tag axle??  Mine are at 70 psig and still way under loaded.  The tag only carries less the 5,000 lbs per tire.  Wouldn't it make sense to size the tag tire to the axle rating???  Something like a 10R might be better????
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 10:13:08 PM by Dick Simonis »

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 10:39:21 PM »
Dick,

I've wondered the same thing about the tag tires, but I think it probably is that if you have a flat drive tire you can always swap out one of the tag tires lift the tag and keep going. If you change the dia of the tire it will effect the travel of the tag. Most trucks that have tag axles run a smaller size.
Just a guess!

Dick Simonis

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 11:04:36 PM »
Lee, I wondered about the tag tires being used as spare but you can not drive the coach very far/fast or the tag automatically drops.  I checked the wights I recorded last year and it looks like I only have 9,000 lbs on the tag axle and it seems to ride very rough, like there is no sidewall flex at all.  Good discussion topic though.   Wonder what a much shorter tire would do the ride height controls.

Bruce Sieloff

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 07:45:46 AM »
Timely post. I just spoke with a new 2002 40' Marquis owner at Camp BCS and he had just had Les Schwab put Toyo M154s on his rig. I was pretty sure that M144s were the hot ticket and that M154 were the OTR choice for big rigs given previous posts, but even if they wear faster and ride a bit harder they wouldn't be unsafe and the cost is almost half of the top range tires. It wasn't seemly to tell a man who just shelled out $2800 that in your opinion he bought the "wrong" tire. At 2 for one I think you would still come out ahead considering that most tires age out before they wear out and his experience may change his mind in the future, or perhaps not, since most of us don't buy enough sets of MH tires to gather exhaustive experience. I am strongly tempted by the Toyo M144s when my turn comes up.

Edward Buker

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 01:14:13 PM »
I have had the Toyo M144s on my 2002 Marquis non tag for a year now and they have been a good tire. I like that they were made and engineered in Japan.

With my coach weights by scale, I also like that I can run 115lbs in the front and 110lbs in the rear with some extra weight capacity margin over my actual weight. I like not having to run the top weight/pressure spec on a tire if I can help it. They are a good quality choice for the money.

I also liked the Michelin's I had before but they were significantly more money.

Later Ed

William Jordan

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 02:15:42 PM »
I had Toyo 144 tires put on when I purchased my 2003 from bcs almost  two years ago and over 13,000 miles on them and am very satisfied ! the 144's were the motorhome recommended tire replacement from Schwab.
At the time I was told the 144's were a design from Comercial bus use. The ride had been good but I only had worn out michelins on before ,that I did my test drive with , to compare with.
In regards to the Tag axle tires . Schwab  at the time I had weighed and wanted my pressures adjusted explained to me that they wouldn't put less than 90 lbs in the tag as , while it doesn't carry any weight to speak of , it does have enormous lateral stress on turns and running low air pressure can cause failure and damage to the tire sidewalls, sometimes unseen until it fails. What I was told made sense so I have run 90 since. I run with the tag down and only activate the tag lift option  in 1st gear , if I'm going to be in some tight turn situations, so the tag isn't going up and down constantly in stop and go traffic.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 02:30:21 PM by William Jordan »

Dick Simonis

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 03:41:30 PM »
Yesterday I contacted another tire distribute in Lebanon and found that I can get the AH12 Hankook in the 12R size....I really like those tires.  I though his price was a bit high so I'll shop around a bit to keep him honest.

My tag tires are Toyo M-134 which are an on/off road tire designed for use on mining requirement, cement trucks, and etc.  Seem like real overkill.  I suspect these tires are built with a really stiff sidewall to take that abuse which may account for, what seems like a very harsh ride, from the rear.

Right now, I'm thinking of putting two Hankooks on the front and move the front tires to the tag depending on condition.  I still need to find out what affect going to a smaller tire on the tag would have on the overall coach balance.

Robert Fish

• BAC Member
  • Semper Fidelis y Morior Invictus
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 07:58:05 PM »
Mr. Simonis,
  Hello Dick, can you apprise us of the price the dealer in Lebanon has quoted?  Also wondering what numbers he has available, as I'm in the same market as you, though I was focused on Toyos, of the 295-22.5 variety.  Was not aware of the Hankook possibility. 
  I am presuming your "Lebanon" is the city in Oregon?
  Thanks for the information

2002 Marquis Ruby 42' C12 Caterpillar Two Slides Towing 2011 Ford Ranger four-down

Dick Simonis

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 09:17:19 PM »
Right, Lebanon is indeed the town and Canaga is the dealer.  The quote was right around 1,000 for two out the door but I will shop around more once we get to the RV park for a couple of months and things settle down.  Another large distributor is GCR tire which has several shops around that area.

I still need to resolve my question about going to a smaller tire on the tag and will discuss that with the folks at BCS while I'm there for service.  Need to find out the tag range of travel.

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2016, 03:04:13 AM »
In 2014, I bought all six of my tires at GCR at the Coburg exit off of Interstate 5.  I bought Firestones as that is what was on it and I had all 6 balanced.  They all had a 14/14 manufacture date and the cost out the door at that time was just under $2350.

Norm Green

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2016, 11:48:29 PM »
This is a timely discussion as I find myself needing to replace all tires on my 08 Thunder due to dry rot, which is a shame because they still have a great amount of tread.  I presently have Mitchell all around, fronts are 315/80R 22.5 and the drive and tag are 295/80R 22.5.  Generally it seems that everyone who replaces tires replaces all the tires with the same brand/type, always steering tires on all axles.  Does anyone use steering quality tires in front and trailer or drive tires in the rear?  Is it cheaper to run non-steering designed tires on your drive and tag axles?
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN
2018 Entegra Cornerstone 45W
Previous, four different Beaver coaches
The following users thanked this post: Bob Stone

Ken Sair

• BAC Member
  • Second generation fulltimers!!
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2016, 01:08:30 AM »
Just my 2 cents but I will be replacing all 4 drive axle tire on my 07 Contessa at Schwab in OR this August. I have 6 year old Contionental HSR-2A now and they still have 50% tread left after 6 years and 57,000 miles. These tires have been to Cancun, Belize and over the Sierra Madre. To Alaska and back. Then down to Mazatlan and Guadalajara MX. Heckuva a tire. But the cost has gone way up on these, Bridgestone, Michelin etc. I am hard pressed to spend that when i (we) never get the full value out of the tire. Junction City quoted me $2200 out the door for 4 295x80x22.5 M144's. Cant hardly beat that.

Ken
BAC members since 2006