Author Topic: ABS Brake Light  (Read 3134 times)

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
ABS Brake Light
« on: May 24, 2016, 08:22:46 PM »
While stuck in stop and go traffic for 45 minutes our ABS light came on the dash. After resuming normal speed and stopping for lunch the ABS light did not return nor has it resurfaced in the last few weeks. BCS did a wheel bearing repack on the front hubs several  years ago and gave me a lubricant to use on a ABS sensor. Has anyone done a lube of an ABS sensor? Any thoughts of why came on sporadically?
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present
2007 Contessa 42ft Cat C-9 400hp
1996 to 2006 97 Beaver Patriot Camden

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Re: ABS Brake Light
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 04:07:09 PM »
Bryan, in most cases ABS comes on wheel sensor adjustment, wire connect dirty to sensor.
Wheel bearing adjustment also comes into play being wheel bearings repack some time back.
In many cases wheel bearing or hub removed on reinstall and setting bearing preload, many
mechanic fail one step on wheel bearing correct setup is the end play or movement of hub.
This is very important that end play with All ABS brakes measurement is checked with dial
indicator at .003 - .005 would trigger ABS light off and on. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Doug Allman

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 04:31:29 PM »
Dave, after we left Branson last fall went up to Roys house and we changed the front wheels from greased bearings to oil hubs. I now have light on for ABS. I know we did not check end play.
Going to take fronts off this week so I can check end play then. What is correct procedure to check end play?
I remember when we had calipers off one of them dropped so I may have a connection problem and not and end play situation. Will have to look at both items.  TKS.

Brakes have worked just fine but want to get all checked and fixed.

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 06:26:07 PM »
Doug , do you have a dial indicator with magnet base. After checking your wheel bearing
preload ( correct install of hub and bearing torque) than you attach dial indicator to spindle
and take reading off wheel hub. Taking pry bar in back of hub check for movement in hub.
Spec call .003 - 005 end play movement. You are checking movement of the taper bearings
in wheel hub. Also correct install of ABS sensor to wheel, if everything is correct with sensor
movement of more than .003 - .005 the ABS light will come on. Note: there are other areas
that can keep ABS light on, but this part of operation that is over looked most.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 04:11:03 AM »
Thanks Dave on your insights. I had Kiser Brake in Eugene, Oregon change over my front wheel hubs to oil bath last year.I think I will have them check out my ABS sensors.
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present
2007 Contessa 42ft Cat C-9 400hp
1996 to 2006 97 Beaver Patriot Camden