Author Topic: Electric question  (Read 5879 times)

Dale Walker

Electric question
« on: May 25, 2016, 03:44:18 AM »
While on our way back to MI. I plugged into a 50 amp shore power, (first time on 50), I ran the washer dryer, everything worked well. During the night we had the air conditioners working, about 2 in the morning, the air conditioners quit working. I got up, went out and checked the pedestal, everything was as it should be. Went back in checked the coach status on the Aladdin, it read NO SHORE AC, GROUND LEG MISSING. We continued on, but the rest of the trip I only used 30 amp, and everything worked fine. I'm sure someone has had this happen? Where should I start, in the transfer box? I checked the fuses in the electrical box back by the batteries, everything looks fine. What did I miss??

Thanks

William Ervin

Re: Electric question
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 04:37:29 AM »
Dale

First thing I'd check is if you have continuity between the ground post on your plug and the transfer box.  If you have it there, check from the transfer box to the inverter ground buss.  If you have continuity all the way to the inverter it may have been a problem with the electrical box at the campground. 

Bill

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 04:38:25 AM »
"The rest of the trip I used only 30 amp" - but wasn't the 30 amp plugged into your 50 amp cord using a pigtail adapter?  And the 30 amp worked perfectly during the rest of the trip?  This sounds to me like the 50 amp plug at the pedestal has a wiring problem.  I am not an electrician but this is where the problem appears to be.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 04:44:43 AM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 06:32:50 AM »
It was likely a fault at the park post, something we've encountered several times.  And often in older parks, during conditions when there is a heavy air conditioning load, one of the park's master busses shuts down, in which case your post breaker may look fine.

As an aside, when changing current feed, anywhere up or down between 15amp and 50amp, try to remember to dial that match in on your Magnum panel's "Shore" setting, probably like mine over the entry door.  If it's set at 30 for example but you're plugged into 50, as device use approaches 30amps the inverter unnecessarily throttles down its battery charger to save what it deems to be precious current availability;  but not if you'd set the Shore Max setting to 50.

Joel
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 07:21:06 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dale Walker

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 03:04:16 AM »
Thanks to all who replied. Couple things need to be checked on my coach, but I really think it was a CG problem. Before I left, I reported it to the CG owners.

Thanks again!

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 12:09:05 AM »
Replaced the cord reel on our Monterey last summer. Started with open grounds on the Aladdin then no power at all. Thought it was always the campgrounds problem until I started checking power at the transfer switch. Not sure but I think plugging in and unplugging the the power cord with the air conditioner on or  the Hydra Hot electric on cooked the contacts on the reel. Replaced with same brand at $600 for the unit. Took the old apart to see what happened, the contact for nuetral was melted.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 06:34:36 PM »
Dale,
The cord reels on the 05 Monterey can be problematic as Jim mentioned, but the ground circuit is identical on 50 amp or 30 amp shore power. The only difference in the circuitry between 30 amp and 50 amp shore power is that on 30 amp service, both hot leads are combined and supplied from a single 30 amp source. But on 50 amp service the two hot leads remain separated and are supplied from separate 50 amp sources for a maximum possible current flow of 100 amps. Therefore, the open ground problem you stated had nothing to do with whether or not you were on 50 amp service. Either it was a campground problem, or it was intermittent and it will happen again.

Gerald   

Dale Walker

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 11:50:14 PM »
Well guys, I've finally had a chance to do some work on my electrical problem, but ran into another problem that has me scratching my head. Before I left AZ, I realized the batteries had been boiled dry, I think, because of the solar panels. Anyway, yesterday I went to Lansing, and bought 4 new batteries, from Batteries Plus. Today, I figured I'd take the coach down to the shop, power wash the battery compartment, with the idea that I would clean it out and re-paint it. Well, to my surprise, only the dash lights would light, none of the interior lights would work. so I went back, checked the chassis batteries, removed them, and cleaned them up and checked them, they both pulled 13 voltsl So took them back down, cleaned the battery tray with a vacuum cleaner, put them back in. Same result, nothing. I'm really scratching my head at this point. My Son-in-Law, suggested putting the new coach batteries in, couldn't hurt!? Well, it didn't hurt, she fired right up?! What did I miss? Could it be the ground on the 2 battery banks are on the same ground, and with the coach batteries dead the chassis batteries didn't have a ground until the new batteries were on line?? I know this sound weird, but this has had me really scratching my head. Has anyone got an idea about why I needed all 6 batteries to make it run? Why shouldn't it start with just the chassis batteries??

Gerald Farris

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 09:19:25 PM »
Dale,
I am a little confused by your question. Your only complaint that I see in your question is that the interior lights did not work. The 12 volt interior lights are supplied from the coach batteries, and if they are dead, you will have no interior lights.

As for your question about the necessity of having both battery banks in good condition before the coach will run, no it is not a necessity. The 2 battery banks are isolated from each other with the exception of the charging circuit. The charging circuit on your coach uses the "Bird" system to combine the 2 battery banks when and only when one of the 2 battery banks is being charged from either the engine alternator, inverter, or and external battery charger.

Gerald

Dale Walker

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 02:23:21 AM »
Thanks for the reply, Gerald. I probably didn't explain this quite right. My question is, shouldn't the chassis batteries, start the engine, without having the coach batteries, even in the coach? The chassis batteries, like you said are 2 separate circuits, but until I put the new coach batteries in, it would not start. I am going to look up the electrical schematics, but doubt if I can understand what happened.