Author Topic: C12 coolant temperature high at 215 F  (Read 17255 times)

Jeremy Parrett

C12 coolant temperature high at 215 F
« on: May 29, 2016, 01:16:01 AM »
I would like to know if 215 F C12 coolant temperature climbing the Donner Pass in the Sierra Nevada towing a 4 ton F250 6.0 King Ranch is normal ? 
 Most of the climb the coolant temp was 200 to 206 but several sections are pretty steep and in 3rd gear with revs at 2000 the temp climbed to 215  max. 
The Alison  transmission (Transcynd) went to 200  max  Both temps decreased on lesser gradients.

Dick Simonis

Re: C12 coolant temperature high at 215 F
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 01:27:08 AM »
215 wouldn't concern me. I have found on mine that at 217 the check engine light begins to flash and at point I drop down to whatever gear it takes to keep it cool at 2100 rpm.

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 04:03:33 AM »
 Dick,  thanks for the vote of confidence.  We have never recorded temps higher than 204F before.
 Just to be safe we will have Cashman Equipment in Elko NV check things out. Replace thermostats and hoses if needed. They are a CAT dealer.

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 04:37:44 AM »
Jeremy, thermostat on C-12 is full open at 208 DEG F , you are ok temp wise?
Dave Atherton Retired Cat mechanic

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 06:31:13 AM »
Ok Dave and Dick. I will ask  Elko NV Cat  Dealer to change the thermostat and do fluid analysis to be sure we are ok.

Doug Allman

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 01:55:30 PM »
Jeremy, I just changed all the coolant hoses on my 2003 era C-12. Most looked OK and probably were but one was a disaster just ready to happen. I do not know how to send picture on Forum or I would. With the new thermostat from Cat, lip seal and gasket it was about $75.00. All the hoses I procured from NAPA, Gates hoses, plus 7lb Radiator cap ran about $230.00 at our business cost.

The thermostat was the old design in my coach so I take it it was never replaced. We always ran for the last 3 years 50,000 miles at around 188 - 192 degrees. At steep grades we would get up to 204 degrees. We always have pulled a Ford F-150 Crew Cab and much of the time I have it loaded with fire wood and a fire pit or numerous other purchases or items found along the way.

The new series thermostat design from CAT has eliminated the sometimes problem they figured they had when it would not fully open.

From my experience it is not an impossible project but it is a lot of work. You will have to remove some (coolant tank), or unhook some items (alternator) so you can even get at hoses and then you need to be ambidextrous. Took me hours to just get the hoses off and then go order and put back on. I did replace all the clamps from the in my opinion mickey mouse screw clamp to a T bolt clamp. One T clamp is equivalent to at least 2 of the screw clamps and no leaks. The T bolt clamps are a good deal higher than the screw clamps.

I am not sure about your configuration on your Cat but from my 1991 Contessa to the 2004 Marquis I do not see a lot of difference with the coolant hoses ( I changed them on it too). Can get you all the part info if you so wish to have. If you have CAT do it I would surely be interested to know what the cost is. I would be willing to bet it takes them 8 hours of labor. Remember, from what I know they will not have any of the hoses as they did not supply this, Beaver or whomever made Beaver supplied these parts.

Edward Buker

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 08:43:54 PM »
Jeremy,

Given the load and the climb 215F does not seem out of the range of what one might expect. The outside temperature has a bearing on this also. Hot day?

later Ed

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 05:08:27 AM »
Thank you Doug and ED,
  the Donner Pass eastwards climb was done on a cooler day with temps  in the high sixties.
  From several truckers I have learned the C12 runs hotter than other diesels.  The truck cooling fan doesnt kick in till 216 F  and thermostat opens fully  at 208 F.  Several guys online have said they dont worry till it gets to 220 F .
I checked the Rocore oil water heat exchanger  this am. Both hose clamps were a little slack and some red coolant drips were evident so I tightened them both carefully.  Going to replace  all clamps  with the sold T type.  If I can get the hoses for the Rocore oil water heat exchanger  I will change them first. Anyone know where these hoses are available?
 Headed to Yellowstone Park June 2nd for 4 days.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 05:14:20 AM by Jeremy Parrett »

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 06:26:20 AM »
Doug,
 if you have those part numbers handy would you send them to my email please.
        Thanks,  jeremy

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 06:43:58 PM »
Jeremy and Doug,
I would also be interested in the hose and hose clamp part numbers for reference.  Ordered through NAPA, RIGHT???
Thanks!
Regards,
Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 12:34:15 AM »
Thanks to Doug I bought  two hoses for the Rocore  oil/water heat exchanger from NAPA.   These are the two hoses that are larger at one end than the other and are 5" to 6" long. I bought T hose clamps sized to the hoses.
 NAPA Part # 8097.   
 One other hose down there is the curved one . It has a metal coil in it.  You will have to cut it to length.  NAPA part # 7820.

I also left an enquiry with Rocore asking about the new shell and tube  heat exchanger with floating bundle # 5-7063E.
  Cashman CAT in Elko NV sold me a new thermostat and lip seal.  They also were of the opinion my C12 is operating normally.
  I will change the Rocore hoses and the thermostat .
  The drive to Yellowstone today did not raise  the temps above  200 F. 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 05:30:34 AM by Jeremy Parrett »

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2016, 11:13:02 PM »
En route from Boulder Wyoming to Cheyenne the voltmeter showed lower readings on accelerating for gradients.  The Silverleaf voltage alarm came up.   It was obvious the serpentine belt was slipping.
I stopped at Rawlings and sure enough,the tensioner mark was off the scale.
 This is a new Gates Green belt of the same # as the Napa and Carquest part.  The belt has stretched !!
   I put on my old NAPA belt ( took 10 mins using my torque wrench to detension the belt) and continued to Cheyenne with no more problems.
  It is entirely possible this loose belt was the cause of my running high temps on The Donner Pass !!

Edward Buker

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2016, 12:18:27 AM »
Jeremy,

Good find on your issue. I have had good luck with those green belts, no issues. Check closely that you do not have a radiator expansion tank leak or overflow drain that can get antifreeze (past or present) on the belt. It will soften the material in the belt and allow abnormal slippage, stretch, or wear.

Later Ed

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2016, 12:58:37 AM »
I have an appointment with Stewart and Stephenson Allison shop in Grand Junction on Monday about my temps.  As some of you have pointed out, different transmissions may run different temps.  The service manager told me 213 is perfect for a 4000.  They run more efficiently at the higher temps.  240 was no concern for him but said that 250+ would be an issue.  I'm going to have them inspect all the hoses, clamps and whatever kind of cooler it may or may not have.  I'll update with my experience next week.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2016, 04:37:08 AM »
Ed,
 I had checked all the hoses and clamps a week ago. Had to snug up the Racor Oil/water heat exchanger hose clamps but the rest were tight. The Gates belt is good. I am going to get it checked next time I  visit CarQuest .It  might have been a part #  snafu .
 Either way I finally have peace of mind re voltage variations ; the ignition solenoid was another culprit.