Author Topic: Leaking Hose for Rear Jack  (Read 8457 times)

Dick Simonis

Leaking Hose for Rear Jack
« on: June 10, 2016, 07:42:16 PM »
Crap, new problem.  I have a hydraulic fluid leak in my rear bay all the way inside by the wall that separates the bays from the AC and Gen Set.

Couple of questions:

What have others done for repairs, truck repair facility, RV dealer, etc?

I suspect there are two hoses for each jack.  Extend and retract??  Since the hose leaking is on the roadside frame rail does that mean it's for the left side jack or do all the hoses for the rear jack run down one frame rail???  Another observation is that overnight the coach level changed and it appears the left jack may have dropped a bit.

The fluid is brownish in color and slippery.  If I have to add fluid to the tank what should be used.  I'm scheduled into on the 20 th but breaking into their schedule early, per Ken, would be real tough so I'm looking at options.  Leaving Idaho falls tomorrow heading for Caldwell and those sites are typically pretty level so I may not need the jacks but I sure want to use the slide.

Also, I spoke with Jeff at Bend RV Repair and while he has no availability in the short term he did mention that whoever I use to specify Nylon lined hose..is this commonly done??

Thanks for any input.

Dick
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 08:20:24 PM by Dick Simonis »

Michael Peters

Re: Leaking Hose for Rear Jack
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 01:06:21 AM »
Hello Dick , I would contact the nearest CAT dealership . They can make a replacement hose. It is a single hose cylinder. Powerout spring return.The oil is ATF .I had to replace one on a front jack. Alot simpler. The routing will be your biggest problem.Possibly just route underneath for temporary. The nylon lining is not really critical in my opinion. It is a low pressure system,ie not exceeding 3000psi. Hope this helps. Funny how this problems show up on Fridays!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 05:52:51 AM »
Michael,
Your 2000 HWH system only uses one hose per jack, but Dick's 2002 SMC leveling system uses two hoses per jack because the jacks are both raised and lowered hydraulically.

Gerald

Dick Simonis

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 06:37:56 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  So far so good and all the jacks came up and slide came in.  Bought some ATF just in case I have to crawl under the coach and top off the tank.  Our site in Caldwell is level enough and I spoke with Ken at BCS and will get at least the one hose replaced and probably the extend hose for the right side as well.  I'm also considering having all four hoses for the rear.  Fronts also????

I'm thinking the front jack hose might be pretty simple since they are close to the pump and shouldn't run through any bays.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 05:50:29 AM »
Dick,
Your hydraulic pump should be accessible by removing one of your front steps. The pump is right below it.

Gerald

Dick Simonis

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 01:29:56 PM »
Removing the front steps???  Any idea which one and how do you does one remove it? 

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 02:10:43 PM »
Dick,
The third step and there are four screws that are visable from inside the coach that hold it down.

Gerald

Edward Buker

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 02:45:23 PM »
On my 2002 Marquis which has a different chassis but maybe the same step arrangement, there are no screws, the removable step just pulls up. It is a tight fit so there is a minor tug of war to get it up... On mine I think it is the second step, it is likely the one closest and just above the tank in whatever your step arrangement is.

Later Ed

Dick Simonis

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 03:12:56 PM »
Ed, I suspect our step arrangement is the same so...is that the second step going up or going down.  Sounds almost too easy, are your sure that's a Beaver design????

Thanks.

Dick

Edward Buker

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 08:43:05 PM »
Dick,

I probably wasn't very clear.... I did not count the landing where you step inside the coach from outside as a step. So it is the second step up from the level area inside the door. That could also could be counted as a step and if you did so, then third step up from outside ground level.

It is a Beaver design and it is helpful indeed. They must have taken pity on us that day in design...I was working from underneath also until Gerald clued me in...glad he shares a few Beaver secrets now and then:-) Mine fits tight and comes up the easiest by tugging up on the left side.

Later Ed

Dick Simonis

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 06:38:18 PM »
Thanks Ed.  Gave it a go this morning and nothing.  All that happened is that the plastic cover started to pull loose.  Gonna have to think about this a bit.

Edward Buker

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 09:16:44 PM »
Dick,

Might try tapping it with a hammer and a block of wood from underneath. You could call Ken at BCS and see if they built any model Marquis in 2002 without the removable step. I am guessing that you have it and it is a tight fit and maybe has never been removed.

Later Ed

Dick Simonis

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 10:57:21 PM »
Well, I thought I hand a great idea to facilitate removing the step, sink a small screw about midway and to the left of center, attach a strap and just lever up the left side.  Didn't find out until I went to drill the pilot hole that the step is sheathed with a steel plate....so that didn't work as planned.  And, since my days of easily crawling under the coach  behind me I went to plan B.  Since my only real concern was having lost enough fluid so the slide wouldn't come in Pat just up and said, well pull it in and if it works fine.  If not, call someone to come out and put in fluid.  That took care of that and we'll just keep the slide in until we get to BCS Monday.  We leave tomorrow for Bend but getting into the shop early is out of the question so we'll stay in an RV park in Redmond until our appointment date.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 10:21:49 PM »
UPDATE:

It turns out that the leak was not in the lines for the Jacks but the side-out.  I'm having both lines replaced as I type and, in addition, Jeremy got the step removed so all is well on that front.  Good thing too as the tank was almost empty.  Now just have to see if their carpet cleaning person can clean up all the spilled hydraulic fluid in the bay.