Author Topic: Cruise Control inoperative  (Read 8814 times)

Ron Langdon

Cruise Control inoperative
« on: August 22, 2010, 11:37:22 PM »
 I have not been able to use the cruise control because each time I engage it, the check engine light appears. I had the service center check it and they found no problem. Anyone have any ideas what may be happening?
I have a 2006 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV with 400 hp cat C9
Thanks
Ron
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 04:25:15 AM by 235 »

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Cruise Control inoperative
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 12:06:43 AM »
I presume your exhaust brake switch is set to off when you try to use the cruise?
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 04:19:03 AM »
 From your description, it sounds like your Smart Wheel control module is malfunctioning, however it will usually cause erratic problems with your windshield wipers also when the module fails, but not always.

If it malfunctions, the Smart Wheel control module can light the check engine light when a function is requested without setting a trouble code in the ECM (engine control module).

Gerald
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 06:19:34 AM by 14 »

Mary Collins

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 01:42:09 PM »
We had this problem. It was caused by dirty contacts in the steering wheel.
Mike and Mary Collins<br />02 Marquis Amethyst<br />

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 01:55:39 PM »
You can get contact cleaner at any Radio Shack store in an aerosal can.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 02:14:14 PM »
You can not access the steering wheel control contacts without removing the steering wheel. So randomly spraying a contact cleaner into the steering wheel area will probably do more damage than good.

Gerald

Grant Hayden

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 12:25:47 AM »
I have the same problem with my 2006 Monterey Laguna IV. I did not see a fix to this problem, does anyone know how to remedy this situation?
Thanks
2006 Monterey
C9 400hp

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 09:50:00 PM »
Grant.
         I have a 2008 marquis and my cruise annunciator was not responding (turning green) when I would press the ON/OFF switch to ON, this condition was very intermittent, but once on it would stay on. I talked to Monaco and they indicated to me the most likely cause for this is the clockspring in the steering wheel. This device has electrical contacts that can sometimes cause problems. the second item they mentioned is the control module.
        What I discovered is that if my cruise annunciator does not illuminate when I select ON, I just turn the steering wheel slightly back and forth and then it responds and illuminates and everything works as advertised. Prior to discovering this little peculiarity, I would just keep trying as we traveled down the road and eventually it would illuminate. In my case I'm pretty positive it is the clockspring in the steering wheel and the contacts may have just a bit of corrosion and by rotating the wheel back and forth ever so slightly it may be making better contact. Some day if the condition persists I may replace it but I' not looking forward to removing the steering wheel to replace it.
          As I mentioned, once the annunciator illuminates for the cruise it works just fine from one day to the next, until it decides to be stubborn again.
          I hope this helps, good luck.

Larry D.
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
2008 Beaver Marq. Amethyst
Cat C15

Russ Mann

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 11:27:29 PM »
Grant,

I have attached 2 Smart Wheel documents that should help resolve the problem if it only pertains to the Cruise Control and not the check engine light. I have the same coach and had the cruise control issue as well. My fix was only a loose wire, hope yours is just as easy.
Good Luck,
Russ

It appears that I can't post a file larger than 300KB. Email me and I'll send them to you.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 11:37:43 PM by Russ Mann »

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 04:02:25 PM »
Grant,
There are a number of utube videos about replacing the clock-spring. I had to change mine out on our 02 Liberty (had the Jeep version of a smart-wheel) and it wasn't too bad a job.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Grant Hayden

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 11:43:52 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their response. I will try your suggestions, and worst case pull the steering wheel.
2006 Monterey
C9 400hp