Author Topic: Drop Down TV  (Read 7712 times)

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Drop Down TV
« on: June 10, 2016, 04:37:07 AM »
Drop down TV quit today in the up position.  I have the manual that specifies for 2004 and newer Monaco.  Mine is 2003 and the Lift Control Module is significantly different than the one in the manual.  There are some similarities.  LED indicators are similar.  There are 2 plugs plus TV Plug on mine vs only one plug plus TV plug in manual.  We put the TV up to move to a different spot in the CG.  When arrived at new site the TV will not drop.  LEDs indicate that it is receiving AC and DC power.  "Run" LED is flashing.  Limit switch (5) is on.  When I push the up/down button I hear a loud clicking like the manual describes as it needing adjustment using the screws on the back of the lift control module only there are no screws on mine.  I read all the old posts and I tried removing all power, shore, 12vdc and turned inverter off.  Anyone have a copy of the manual for the old 2003?  Or any other ideas of course.  I will call the company in the morning.  Thanks.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Drop Down TV
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 04:50:26 AM »
Our TV stuck in the up - closed position last year,.  Or was it two years ago?  Anyways, the problem was intermittent - sometimes it would operate okay and other times it would stick in the up - closed position.  But, importantly, it always stuck in the up - closed position; never in the down - open position.  When I raised the TV it sounded like something might have been out of adjustment... like a clunk sound right at the top when it became fully up - closed.  After some tinkering I found that if I pushed the toggle switch with a bit of pressure to one side, then the TV seemed to open normally.  From that I concluded the toggle switch was likely the problem.  I replaced the toggle switch and it's never failed to operate since.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 05:00:26 AM »
Thanks David.  I tried the switch with no luck.  When I push the switch it makes a loud grating noise, hard to describe.  Not actually metal to metal but more like a gear that is not aligned to another gear and just nipping the ends of the teeth.    No idea if there is even any gears in there.  Thanks again.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 05:55:56 AM »
Sorry for additional question so soon.  I assumed the lift mech manufacturer info would be on the manual but it was a Monaco manual.  Anyone know the name of the company?  Is it "liftit"?  Thanks
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 12:18:28 PM »
    Jerry,  I am pretty sure it is a "Lift It" mechanism. Sounds like the limit switch may not have stopped the retract travel. Try pushing up on the corners closest to the living room while someone hits the "open" switch. This may unload the tension against the mechanism. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 03:14:31 PM »
Hi Jerry,
The lift unit in our 06PT has been an issue since we purchased the coach from BCS in 08. We have never been able to get the thing fixed. I have found that the main issue seems to be heat.
I now keep the TV down about an inch from the full up position this helps, I do this even when we travel. If I want to lower the unit and it does not move I can bump the up side for movement and then go to the down this will get things moving for me. I need to keep the TV away from the full up so I can still get movement.
I have also seen this issue in the full down side so I normally stop just short of full down.

I am sure that in our case heat is a factor if I leave the set alone overnight it will work up and down.

The lift unit in the 06 was made by a company located in Bellingham,WA. I have thought about running up to see them but over the years have just used my little work around tricks.

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 03:42:20 PM »
Thank you Jerry.  I saw your old posts.  I've tried wiggling switches pulling and pushing on mount when pushing the switch, I have exposed the lift control box and disconnected cables trying to reset it, disconnected all coach power and a bunch of other things as my 9 year old wonders how he is going to get his TV fix for the day!  I just tried to call "Liftit" and got a voice mail, of course.  One thing that intrigues me is that there is some type of adjustable "rod" with a swivel attachment on both ends of it near the mechanism.  Trying to figure how that may be involved.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Bobby Kirk

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 05:05:43 PM »
I have an 06 Marquis since its birth. The TV has been a problem since new. I also do not put all the way up. I have two small shop towels I fold and put in two corners near living area and then put up untill they are tight. When I try to put down if it does not work I pull towels out and if I can get it to move up just a fraction will will come down every time. Before doing this
trick I have gotten up several time at around midnight and it came down every time I did that. Which would lead you to think
temp. Good Luck

Bobby Kirk
2006 Marquis

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 05:38:00 PM »
Jerry the overide is going to allow a manual operation, you will pull the clip and pull back on the screw, this will disconnect the motor.
You can then manually rise or lower the panel with a speed wrench or use a screw gun.

The problem is the TV covers the access, so it's impossible to disconnect. I once thought about cutting a hole but because you need to have full access to remove the clip it would really require that you remove about 3 inches from the whole panel and use some type of lock to hold the panel inplace.

I just found with our issue (heat) we just keep the set from the full up. We just need to get movement  then all is OK. I have not had a problem now in 5-6 years. The only problem is when we pull into a service shop they seem to like the set full up, I now have a sign I place over the switch that tells the service tech to keep hands off the TV.

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 05:38:44 PM »
    Jerry,  I am pretty sure it is a "Lift It" mechanism. Sounds like the limit switch may not have stopped the retract travel. Try pushing up on the corners closest to the living room while someone hits the "open" switch. This may unload the tension against the mechanism. Fred

Fred, thanks, tried pushing up at corners and then pulling down some.  No luck.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 05:45:56 PM »
I just received a call from Liftit.  They say that they did not make the TV lifts for Monaco until 2006ish.  They may have still made some of the earlier ones but not as a routine.  Mine may have been made by a company called "Trimetal."  Anyone heard of them?
BCS says company is Dehco Inc.  and Tristar.  Waiting for them to call back.  What an adventure!!  Thanks all.
Jerry
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 05:58:13 PM by Jerry Emert »
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2016, 09:47:03 PM »
Fixed!!  Monaco Tech Support had a copy of the manual.  Not a very good manual but it helped me identify parts so I could play with it enough to figure out the issue.  One of the limit screws had apparently worked it's way out just enough that it bound up the mechanism enough so it did not activate the up limit switch telling it to stop but still kept pushing causing the grinding noise.  I pulled the padding off the screws and got the screw up enough that the TV seated itself in the up position.  Then it started working properly.  ( year old is happy to get his TV fix and I can relax.  Thanks for all advice.  The Lift was actually made by Trimetal Fabrication in Eugene.  Their number is 541-684-9167.  They still have not returned my call.  Monaco Tech Support are my Heroes for the day.
Happy Camping.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

David T. Richelderfer

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2016, 10:11:02 PM »
GREAT!!!!  When I had my problem I was distressed that the TV would lock into its down position and I would have to drive while peeking under it.  ... glad you got to the bottom of it AND the fix was not expensive.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 10:46:44 PM »
Jerry I am glad to hear you have the problem fixed!
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

David T. Richelderfer

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2020, 05:11:37 AM »
Yesterday we had the same problem as Jerry had when he started this thread.  The TV went up and locked into the up position and we couldn't get it to come down.  So, guess, what, I called Jerry Emert to find out what he did to get the TV to drop.  But before I called Jerry, I tore into the mechanics to find the limit switches.  I found the two bolts on each of the two limit switches to be loose.  I could turn the nuts on the bolts with my fingers.  I moved both limit switches about a half-inch towards the rear of the coach but I still couldn't get the TV to drop.  So I called Jerry to find out the secret to getting the TV to drop.  It was simple but if you didn't know the secret, then it is a perplexing problem.  The secret is to push the drop-down switch twice in rapid succession and hold the switch for a few seconds after the second push.  The TV dropped. The TV kept working as designed.  So I put the forward limit switch back to about 1/4 inch forward of its original position and put the aft limit switch back as close to its original position as I could remember.  The TV works perfectly again!  Now on to the next problem.

Thank you to Jerry.  And he didn't even charge me... but I would have paid for his secret.