Author Topic: Xantrex (Trace) SW2512 Inverter Fault  (Read 4839 times)

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
Xantrex (Trace) SW2512 Inverter Fault
« on: June 14, 2016, 08:05:13 PM »
So the Xantrex SW2512 in our 2004 Beaver Marquis works until we use the disconnect power switch in the batter bay to disconnect coach power. After turning that switch back on the inverter shows a fault condition (red light) and will not invert.  The only solution we've found is to disconnect power to the inverter and then reconnect.  At that point the inverter will work again until such time that we disconnect coach power using that switch in the battery compartment.

Have you seen this before?  Any ideas what might be causing and potential solution?  Our technician said he thinks that the power disconnect is not really killing power to the inverter and his recommended solution is to install another disconnect switch to the inverter.  This sounds to me like a workaround more than a solution. 

Recommendation appreciated.

Thanks
Rick
Rick V
2004 Beaver Marquis, Garnet (3 slides)
43'
C12

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Xantrex (Trace) SW2512 Inverter Fault
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 08:18:04 PM »
What "disconnect power switch in the batter[y] bay to disconnect coach power" are we talking about?  This is the first I have heard of one.  I have two disconnect switches - one for the coach batteries and another for the chassis batteries.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 08:44:28 PM »
Rick,
If the tech is right, you should see some voltage at the battery input to the inverter when the coach battery disconnect switch is open (coach power off). I'm assuming you are referring to the error light on the inverter. For the conditions you are describing, high or low battery voltage are about the only conditions that would cause it to illuminate so it could be a faulty switch. Will the inverter reset? "To reset the inverter, press the red ON/OFF MENU button and then select OFF and then ON with the SET POINTS buttons or by pressing the red button several times."
To get the inverter working where do you disconnect the battery input; at the battery or at the inverter? Are you disconnecting the hot  lead or ground? Do you leave the coach battery switch on while doing this? The switch disconnects the hot input but not ground so if you are disconnecting the hot lead, you are doing the same as the switch.
I'd clean all the 12V battery contacts on the battery, switch, and inverter as a first step to ensure you don't have an unwanted leakage/voltage path.  If no joy, I think you may have a faulty switch since disconnecting the battery (hot lead) should look the same to the inverter as throwing the disconnect switch.
Steve
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 08:46:46 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 08:59:48 PM »
Rick,

If you leave the inverter enabled, try turning the inverter feature off before disconnecting power. See if when you bring up the inverter charger by connecting power if the red light still comes on. If it doesn't then just enable the inverter feature once it is powered back up. There are checks being made by the inverter charger that may tell it to fault because the power source is not stable during the switching. I think if I have a choice my power up sequence for the inverter charger would be to turn on the DC battery switch and connect to DC and then turn on AC at the power pole.

Later Ed

Rick Vyncke

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 12:39:43 AM »
Regarding which disconnect switch... our 2004 Marquis has two disconnects...

One is located inside the switch on the panel along side the steps.  I think that only eliminates power inside of the coach (I think)
The second one is a rotary switch located inside of the compartment (but to the right) that houses the coach and house batteries.  I believe it completely disconnects and isolates the house batteries. 

I don't know whether or not there is a power draw at the inverter or not.  I have not tried powering the inverter off with the red switch first but will try that. 

The technician told me that disconnecting power or ground from the inverter accomplished the same thing but am not convinced that he actually trie both.  Will ask him tomorrow.

Rick

Rick V
2004 Beaver Marquis, Garnet (3 slides)
43'
C12