Author Topic: Engine Warning Light  (Read 5275 times)

James Sagerser

Engine Warning Light
« on: July 12, 2016, 06:13:28 AM »
Hi everyone.  Yesterday, while heading back to Denver, I noticed black smoke coming from the tail pipe after it was idling for a few minutes.  Later, when I shut down the engine and restarted it, it labored a little starting which it has never done and the engine check light came on.  All the temps and oil pressure looked normal so I decided to drive the 45 miles back to Denver.  I noticed a lack of power on the hills and slower than normal acceleration plus more black smoke when it was floored.  The maximum boost psi I could see was 21.1 floored and "0" when idling.  I'm thinking something is wrong the the turbo charger.  Any ideas?  Is there a way to retrieve a code to show whats wrong?  Any recommendations on service places in the Denver area? Thanks in advance.

I have a 2003 Beaver Monterey with a Cummins ISC 350 Turbo Charged engine.

Edward Buker

Re: Engine Warning Light
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 01:31:20 PM »
James,

I have had better luck on the Cat side of things with larger "real" Cat dealers that have 24 hour operations. More talent and knowledge under one roof. If I had no other recommendation to go on that would be how I would choose. There are places that have signs that they service Cat and Cummins and but they have more limited resources as independents.

Later Ed

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 02:23:43 PM »
Jim,
Here's a list taht might assist in finding a repair shop.  http://rvservicereviews.com/StateList.asp?state=CO
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Lawrence Tarnoff

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 04:00:55 PM »
I have used Cummins Coach Care for routine maintenance and was very impressed with their service.  There is a service center in Henderson, CO.

James Sagerser

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 03:42:01 AM »
Problem solved.  The error code was "268" which is a fuel pressure problem.  It was traced down to a frayed 3-pin connector.  It was re-wired and now working fine.  A very special thanks to Dave Atherton for all his help with this issue.  What a wealth of knowledge.  Thank you so much and to everyone who responded.  Jim

Dan Murphy

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 04:47:36 AM »
Atherton for President!!! ;D ;D

Doug Allman

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 06:15:08 PM »
Atherton for President. No, Dave for Technical Diesel Engine Authority. No guesses, just facts and fixes.