Author Topic: Generator and engine won't start without boost  (Read 5998 times)

Ken Stuhmer

Generator and engine won't start without boost
« on: September 01, 2016, 12:53:57 AM »
We are dry camping. This afternoon the generator  quit on us. After checking circuit breakers, reading the book on the generator and checking for any Onan codes we tried the engine and it also wouldn't start. The engine batteries showed 10.4V, they were new this past Jan., the fuel is on 3/4 tank, and all battery connections look fine. The engine did start with a boost from the house batteries but we were hearing funny noises from the middle of the couch so we immediately turned it off. Any suggestions? Thanks. The Stuhmers
1998 Beaver Patriot

Wayne Tull

Re: Generator and engine won't start without boost
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 07:22:04 PM »
I have had a similar problem (except the noise) and it was that the connections on the battery looked good, but weren't tight enough.  This problem showed up long after the battery had been replaced.  Though your voltage appears way low.  Mine at the time was fine.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 07:34:02 PM »
Ken,
If your generator was running and your chassis batteries are at 10-11v, they weren't getting a charge. With the generator running check the voltages on both the house and chassis batteries. If one set is below 12 v and the other is at 13+, your echo charger is probably bad. It should have a green solid light is working properly.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 09:38:04 PM »
Ken,

If you do not have an Echo Charger or you have one and it is not working, then while running the generator, you can run a set of jumper cables between the 12V post at the house set to the 12V post on the starting set. The house charger will then charge the starting set. The grounds are wired in common so you only actually need the plus side connected.

Later Ed

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 08:06:53 PM »
Ken,
It sounds like you generator died from low battery voltage because your Echo Charger has a bad fuse or it is defective. The low battery voltage is the same reason that the engine and generator would not restart. So the first thing to do is determine the reason that the chassis batteries are not charging.

I can not be of any help on the "funny noise" without more information. It was possibly the inverter giving a low voltage alarm, but without more information like the source of the noise, the system AC voltage, and the type of noise (buzz, knocking, or scraping), anything that I say is a blind guess.

Gerald   

Ken Stuhmer

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 03:02:50 AM »
Thank you all for your replies.  Helpful info.  Appreciate the input on the 12v chassis vs 13.5v house batteries. We do not know about an Echo charger - we will look into that. We were able to boost the chassis engine off the house batteries to get it going. We took it into an RV service center in CT and we were told that we drained our chassis batteries by overloading the generator  running an AC, the fan on the other AC, TV, oven and possibly fridge and hot water.  The generator cut out due to this overload.  Now we know to watch the amps.  We did not here the noise again and agree, Gerald, that it was an inverter or voltage protector noise as they are in the same area.  Thank heavens it was nothing major - another learning experience.  Great to have all of your support.  Kari

Larry Fritz

• BAC Member
  • 98 Patriot Ticonderoga - 37' Blue/White, 3126B CAT
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 04:30:05 AM »
Ken, I have a motorhome just like yours. I put a Trik-L-Start on it when I purchased it in Year 2000 and all is well. A bit cheaper but basically is the same as a echo charger.  I also mounted it under the bed in a location where I can look thru the radiator rear area louvers and see the lights on it. Works like a champ. They are easy to install.

Also, voltmeters are so cheap these days that you might want to mount a chassis VM on your dash somewhere so you can read out the voltage while you drive anytime. I have several in my coach located here and there.  I had a alternator die on the highway once and the voltmeter told me in real time so I could make a decision as to what I would do next.

Larry Fritz
Larry Fritz

Dick Simonis

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 02:11:47 PM »
I used a quicky fix for a bad echo charger on my PT...held down the parallel switch and wedged in a toothpick to keep in on.  Not something I would recommend for a long term fix but it worked for me on as as needed basis until I could repair the echo charger.