Author Topic: Norcold Ice Maker Problems  (Read 10898 times)

Tim Bentley Co-Admin

Norcold Ice Maker Problems
« on: August 17, 2010, 08:42:11 PM »
We are having a problem with our Norcold Ice maker.  We have a 4-door Norcold refrigerator with a built in ice maker in one of the freezer compartments.  When the ice maker fills there is a water leak into the storage tray below the ice maker.  We still get ice but the water leak adds to the stored ice and results in a solid block of ice.  Has anyone had a similar problem?  It would be nice to repair the unit and not have to replace the entire ice maker.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 05:33:00 PM by 1 »

Garland Land

• BAC Member
Re: Norcold Ice Maker Problems
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 06:32:23 PM »
In June 2009, I replaced the ice maker in my 2004 Patriot Thunder since it always leaked water into the pan that held the ice cubes.  When I removed the ice maker I was discovered the lining on the ice cube tray was coming off.  This caused the cubes to stick to the tray for a longer time before the heater would heat the cubes enough to release them.  I’ve used the new ice maker  for about 180 days and the tray never spills over.   I bought it at www.icemakersonline.com.  Go to the web site and click on RV ice maker for more info.

Bill Stireman

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 07:08:45 PM »
Not sure if this is what is happening on your ice maker but I did have a similar problem with the same refrigerator on my '04 Monterey and when I raise the the shutoff bar before traveling I don't have the problem.  It could be your ice maker is trying to make ice as you are bouncing on the highway and the water is spilling into the tray resulting in your block of ice.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 09:51:31 PM »
Tim-

Now that bstireman mentions it, because it's been nearly 2 years since we were on the road, my memory is jogged that I had to learn to turn off the icemaker lever on our Dometic 2-door also, before hitting the highway.  In fact, as I recall, it was best to do it the night before so there was no chance of there being a fresh cycle of unfrozen water in the tray when we drove off.

The refer's timer automatically defrosted every night, but there was still ice and frost on the mechanisms, so I used to key in one or two extra defrost cycles manually during the day, but to little avail in removing the aberrant ice buildup.  Then I surmised it might be from slopping water that hadn't had a chance to freeze, and lifting the actuator wire at least several hours before traveling did help.

From your description, though, Tim, your box is overflowing when it fills.  I think I read in our Dometic manuals somewhere that there is an adjustment for setting the fill point.  There is likely a float or weight switch somewhere that shuts off flow at the set point of fill.  If your Norcold is adjustable, that may be your simple fix.  Hopefully the switch isn't faulty.  If you don't have a reference to it in your Norcold documentation, you might check online at Norcold's website.

-Joel
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 10:19:18 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Tom and Pat Fudale

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 01:40:20 AM »
If you remove the front cover of the ice maker there is a plus and minus setting to control the size of the cubes. Also never ride with the bail wire down.

Tim Bentley Co-Admin

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 06:53:50 PM »
We called Norcold about our water leak in the ice tray were asked if the leak is on the left side or the right side.  Our leak is on the left side between the tray and the motor module.  The Norcold tech said that a leak on the left if difficult to repair and suggested that we replace the unit.  We now have a new ice maker on order for about $70.  Hope that solves the problem.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 06:22:02 AM by 14 »

Ron and Mary Holt

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 07:31:23 PM »
We also have the Norcold Ice Maker Problem (04 Monterey) with the leak coming on the left side of the ice maker.  The unit makes ice just fine but I keep a container below to catch the water that flows down.  It does not seem to be related to filling the ice maker.  I was hoping that it was only a loose tube or maybe a line that could be replaced but our local repair shop thinks the unit must be repaired.  Interested if you ordered the part directly from Norcold and do you think you can replace it or will it require a technical shop to complete the work.  Our shop gave us a quote of 8 hrs labor to replace the unit.  Seems terribly high, would love your thoughts.  Mary and Ron
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 10:03:58 PM by 14 »

Tim Bentley Co-Admin

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 11:35:48 PM »
Got my new Ice Maker from the sight listed in Garlands post above.  It costs $95.00 with 3 day shipping.  It took me about 1 hour to do the install.  It's easy, just 4 screws and one electrical plug and your back in business.  We are now making ice and happy again.