Author Topic: replacement roof top a/c units  (Read 6465 times)

Doug Allman

replacement roof top a/c units
« on: July 11, 2016, 09:51:45 PM »
Seems the past few years the roof top air units are still working but with less efficiency. I know they can be cleaned and even braze in a fitting to recharge but wondering about worth it to revive a 13 year old unit. Also wondering if changing to 15000 BTU would be smarter than staying with the 13500 units on our Marquis. Only 2 on the 40' unit and after doing some major remodeling I see there is minimal to no insulation in a lot of areas. We travel to Yuma in winter and out in other western states in the summer.

What might be the best available from what manufacturer in 2016 models. Not really concerned with heat pump needs.
The following users thanked this post: Mandy Canales

Mandy Canales

• BAC Member
Re: replacement roof top a/c units
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 10:38:48 PM »
Doug...I just replaced one of my roof top A/C this week..  I wanted the low profile ones from Dometic (Penguin II).  I went with the 15,000 BTU ducted one.  Since I went with a new one I also needed to change the thermostat as an upgrade.  My units are 26 years old.  The front one is still the original one and is a 13,500 BTU unit.  Haven't had a true test as yet but looking forward to it soon.   :-[Sad note though; I had the rear one installed then the installer noticed there was no power to the unit.  After doing some tracing for the power he found out that the 50 amp cord that plugs into the MH was not making contact thus no power, but I do have a new unit. ;)  I wanted a bigger unit in the back as it will push more cool air through the duct not only into the bedroom but also the bath and kitchen ares.  Good luck on your choice.
Mandy Canales
90 Beaver Marquis 40'
Cat 3208
Charter Member
Apple Valley, CA
The following users thanked this post: Joe Hipp

Doug Allman

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 12:31:40 AM »
My a/c guy was here this afternoon and looked at rooftop units. They are R22 and he said if they work all right KEEP them. We are going to clean units and then test for coolness. He noted that the front of the unit , I am using the term condensor, is pretty dirty so it is not performing well. If not cooling well after cleaning we will suck out R22, purge system and then recharge with used R22 and new if needed. The R22 can be done this was as it was a one part refrigerant. New refrigerants are two part and seperate from each other so cannot reuse.

Bill Borden

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 08:23:44 AM »
Just a comment or two.

Last year we replaced the front and rear units along with the thermostats  and controls.  They are working great.

I did think about upgrading to 15 k unit but did not

In hind site, I wish I had.

In California the EPA will not allow any service than cleaning. They made them tosser's.
Regards,

Bill Borden
2000 Patriot Thunder
C-12 425 hp 
Cool, California

Joe Hipp

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 05:16:34 PM »
Arrived at Pueblo, CO, and A/C units hit by hail, punctured shroud on both units.  New shrouds at Camping World are about $100 a piece.  Since units on my "98 Patriot are 18 years old, I'm looking at getting new units.  Any suggestions?  I'm heading to Oregon in August and will be at Beaver Coach Sales for service mid month.