Author Topic: Water in Fuel light on  (Read 4809 times)

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Water in Fuel light on
« on: July 12, 2016, 05:19:01 PM »
On the road in the Canadian Rockies (WOW!) and my water in fuel light came on. Engine still purrs and runs fine. Drained some fuel out of the O/W separator bowl (Racor filter) and no evidence of water in fuel. Called a local shop and the guy said no big deal, run it anyway. Beaver book says replace the filters or damage to injectors can occur. When leaving Jasper the other day, the light did not come on until I had about 20 min on  the road.
Anything to worry about, or just replace the filters when I get home? Filters were replaced spring of 2015, with only 6,000 miles run since then.
2005 Beaver Patriot Thunder 525 hp C-13 Cat.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Lee Welbanks

Re: Water in Fuel light on
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 07:15:57 PM »
Change the filters, you don't want to have to start replacing injectors and fuel system parts. Clean fuel is the life blood of one of these engines.

Dwight Wilson

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 04:54:55 PM »
Hi Bill,
I have the same coach and engine. Had a similar issue last fall during a torrential rain storm in Washington. There is a procedure in the manual which you may have completed where you simply push a button to drain  out any accumulated water from the water filter located in the battery compartment until the water is removed. I believe the engine needs to be turned off to do this? Anyway, the issue was resolved , indicator light went out and never came back on.
Dwight
Dwight Wilson
Calgary, Alberta
05 Patriot Thunder C13 Cat

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 06:31:55 PM »
On our 2005 Thunder the water in fuel light comes on every time we are driving in rain. I finally got to the point of just ignoring it if it's raining. Not the best solution I know. I need to find out what is triggering that in the rain.
Larry
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 05:57:33 AM »
Dwight and Larry-My Beaver has a prime button but does not have the drain switch, as near as I can find. But Like Larry, today we drove in the dry, and the light did not come on! Thanks guys for chiming in and taking a load off my mind! Here in Mt Revelstoke Park, light rain, hopefully clear for the next few days....
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Edward Buker

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 04:05:49 PM »
It would seem like if you really had water at the fuel water sensor, it would not go off until it was drained. It should not come on due to rain and then go off in dry weather, if it was a real water in the fuel issue.

Usually there is a bowl in the bottom of the first fuel filter with a sensor with a probe in it that either senses resistance to ground or between two probes built within the sensor. If you can locate the probe, you may want to check the wiring plugs at the sensor and any plugs in that harness for moisture. I would add some silicone grease to keep the plug alloys from oxidizing and water out of the connection points and see if your issue disappears.

If your bowl is plastic and see through you may also be able to visual for water to confirm what the sensor is saying.

Later Ed
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 04:19:55 PM by Edward Buker »
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley