Author Topic: Coach Batteries  (Read 15354 times)

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Coach Batteries
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2016, 09:57:47 PM »

The only other thing to be aware of is that the electrolyte level rises in a fully charged battery, so only add water when the batteries are fully charged or you can have them overflow. Hope this helps.

Later Ed
[/quote]

Ok so this just made sense to me.  I had not considered this but it explains some overflow I was having.

For filling I use an old dish soap bottle that I cleaned out extreemly well.  Filled with distilled water it tops off most of the batteries just fine and fits in the space and allows room for light and a mirror. 
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2016, 10:27:32 PM »
I use a small funnel with a shortened soda straw taped to the end for all my batteries - the Marquis and two electric golf carts.  The straw is small enough that I can see the water level in the battery's hole.  I fill them up to "near" the top of the side slit - 1/4" or so below the top of the slit, 3/4" or so below the top of the hole.  Also I prop the seat up on the golf cart so the warmth from charging batteries cause a convection air-draft which (I hope) takes the vapors from charging up and out of the battery compartment under the seat.  If the Marquis is parked, then I will either open the bay door or leave it slightly open to help allow the warm convection air-draft take the vapors up and out of the battery compartment.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

Edward Buker

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2016, 11:02:18 PM »
There are many ways to add water, whatever you find is most convenient for you. I like the 2 quart jug with the nozzle that limits the pour, so you do not have to add and look to see where you are level wise and because it does not overfill. As long as you use distilled water and get the level right you are good to go.

If they overflow, because you are sending acid into the battery tray, you need to sort out why that is and change your practices. If it is more like a one cell issue look for a bad cell.

Keith, glad that this was a help to you. Not sure this charge vs electrolyte issue was ever mentioned in the past...

Later Ed
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

Dennis Belfils

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2016, 05:45:43 AM »
Thanx to all for the info. Being as we have more spare time than cash, will be looking for new Trojans & a water filling bottle. The local Costco only has Interstate that are half the RC of the Trojans we have @ $90ea. Think we can find 105's for alittle more in cost............

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2016, 06:10:11 AM »
Hey Dennis, look into US Batteries.  When tested they out performed Trojans or so I was told and are about 20% less.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2016, 12:08:15 PM »
I still say you need to double check the RC on the Interstates, Dennis, because it is not half the Trojans.  Reserve Capacity is expressed different ways for the same battery.  Make sure you're comparing apples to apples.  The numbers I've seen are around 230 minutes at 20 amps for both.  At 75 amps, the minutes may shrink to 110.  Note that both batteries weigh 62-65 lbs., an indication they have comparable amounts of lead, a major indicator of potential capacity. 

Some vendors/mfrs. express capacity as amp hours at a 20 hours rate, rather than minutes at a given current drawdown (amps).  215-232 Ah at 20 hr. rate is what I'm seeing for similar Interstates.  That same Ah method reports 225 for T105's.

I'm not going to keep beating this horse, as there's nothing wrong with Trojans if that's what you want.  Keep in mind there are different versions/models of the T105.  My position is just that they're more costly, I think some people are seeing 75 amp RC's at Costco when they should be looking for 20 amp one's, and my Interstates are in their 11th year.

Joel

http://www.rvpowersupply.com/interstate_batteries.htm
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 12:16:24 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Edward Buker

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2016, 12:40:30 PM »
Dennis,

Check the weights of the interstate 6V batteries at Costcos, I think you will find that they are within a pound of the Trojans, and if so, they are literally the same capacity. There are no versions of golf cart batteries that are half the capacity of others, that I have ever seen, given the application demands a lot of deep cycle reserve capacity to run the golf cart.

On the Trojan front they are excellent batteries and I was able to buy blemish ones from a large golf cart dealer at a reduced price so that is what I have. I would not pay a lot more for a Trojan thinking that I am getting a lot of extra capacity, if the weights were within a couple of pounds.

Later Ed

Dennis Belfils

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2016, 02:43:46 PM »
Thanx Ed & Joe, will re-look the Interstates as I only checked the rating listed on them.............
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2016, 06:23:27 PM »
We replaced batteries in our golf cart last year.  Went to the local battery shop and got no label batteries that were about 10 amp/hour less than Trojans that were made by Trojan for about 30% less.
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp

Dale Walker

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2016, 01:15:48 AM »
This is how I fill my batteries now. Simplest quickest way ever.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/191634323329?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Norm Green

• BAC Member
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2016, 02:27:09 AM »
I use the same system as Dale, works great.
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN
2018 Entegra Cornerstone 45W
Previous, four different Beaver coaches

Doug Allman

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2016, 12:09:31 PM »
Last January in Quartzsite the Discount Solar store on the main drag east of town had the Trojan 6 volt batteries for $125.00 out the door. Many of the Beavers at the Quartzsite rally visited this store and it is the best store most of us have ever seen for your 6v/12v needs with cables/batteries/solar panels etc. They also have a test technician that is very good. Numerous other battery brands including the high end glass mats are in stock.