Author Topic: Columbia River RV Park restrictions  (Read 9657 times)

Keith Cooper

Columbia River RV Park restrictions
« on: July 07, 2016, 07:39:26 PM »
This morning I called Columbia River RV Park in an effort to make reservations for a 4 night stay beginning August 3rd , the person answering the phone advised me that we could not stay  in their RV park because they restrict their park to coaches less than 15 years old. I advised that we have a 2000 Beaver Patriot Thunder Diesel pusher with two slides. Obviously such rigid guidelines should be widely shared in the RVing community
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Columbia River RV Park restrictions
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 08:30:17 PM »
Call them back and tell them it's a 2002.  They would never know.

We stay at the Sandy River Front RV Resort at Troutdale, OR.  Downtown Troutdale is just around the corner from the RV park and in walking distance, has a bunch of little bars, restaurants and specialty shops.  Plus, across the UP mainline from downtown Troutdale is the outlet mall you can see from I-84 and the RV park is right on the Sandy River with private river access.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 08:36:25 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 02:33:03 AM »
They just were sent a disapproving email from my side.  Perhaps they need some more.  If a well-kept Beaver less than 25 years or so isn't good enough, how about a Foretravel, Newell, or Prevost?  Even more ridiculous are those parks with 10 year restrictions... all too common. 

They do note on the Rates page that older coaches may be pre-approved, but how exactly is that to be done?  Send photos of your rig I guess, but the whole thing still seems discriminatory and less than respectful.

Joel
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 03:05:16 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 03:52:15 AM »
Sorry Keith!

We've stayed there several times, usually in the winter.  It has a wonderful view of the Columbia River. 

Unfortunately, they have a "business problem".  They have too many people wanting a month or two.  When someone wants a few days, it blocks the monthly rental opportunities. 

We tried once to build a rally there.   10 spaces for 4 days was a problem.  Better business for them is 10 spaces for a month. 

Where else are you looking?

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 10:01:30 AM »
We just passed through the area  two days ago.  We decided to do it on SR-14 in Wa and went across the Bridge of the Gods.  Has anyone stayed in what appears to be a park in Bonneville?  Much more peaceful than the I 84 and Troutdale area.
Keith, you might wantto stay away from the Cascade Locks KOA as well.  We went there and were nearly trapped in their first loop.  Had to disconnect at a sharp angle to the toad and the fella guiding us did so right into a tree.  Bad, bad experience.
Perhaps a bad report on Rvillage would help as well.  I will make an effort there.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Joel Weiss

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 02:09:54 PM »

They do note on the Rates page that older coaches may be pre-approved, but how exactly is that to be done?

Read that again carefully, it says that coaches older than 10 years have to be approved but the statement on the Reservations page says that coaches older than 15 years aren't acceptable at all.  So what they are saying is that 10-15 year old coaches have to have pre-approval; nothing older is acceptable.

My attitude towards parks like that is that I wouldn't want to spend my money there anyway.

Keith Cooper

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 11:41:10 PM »
We went ahead and booked a site at Sandy River Front RV Resort in  troutdale. I also wrote an email to the manager of the RV park :
Hello,
This morning I called Columbia River RV Park in an effort to make reservations for a 4 night stay beginning August 3rd , the person answering the phone advised me that we could not stay  in your RV park because you restrict your park to coaches less than 15 years old. We have a 2000 Beaver Patriot Thunder Diesel pusher with two slides which does not fall within your guidelines. Obviously such rigid guidelines should be widely shared in the RVing community and I will do my part to insure this information is passed along. I will start by posting this information on the Beaver Ambassador forum today. Cheers

Here is the managers response:
Thank you for helping us make sure our policies are known and enforced. You will find that most of the RV parks in this area have the same age restrictions, with no exceptions. Have a good day and thank you for your time.

Columbia River RV Park

While we find the policy frustrating the only real alternative for us is to find accommodations elsewhere . The irony is that one of our reasons for coming to Oregon in early August is to get some remodeling work done on our coach.
Cheers
keith & Eileen

William Jordan

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 12:50:05 AM »
When I used to drive by this park it was always full so I don't think the are concerned about lost business. I knew a Gresham police officer and was told the area has a large drug problem. Along with this comes those using older rv's in parks as a home, along with the drug issues and problems of not being able to evict.
 I certainly would think there are other methods to solve the "problem tenant " issue , however Portland area parks are few and park owners can be exclusive with little downside.

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 03:37:44 AM »
Another beautiful alternative is Columbia Riverfront RV Park. Also right on the Columbia River, it is a very nicely maintained place to stay. The only concern may be its distance from the big city. My wife and I stay there every time we're in the area.
Larry Fisk
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 04:03:33 AM »
I have enjoyed the Sandy River Front RV park and have also used Portland Fairview RV park both are close and well maintained.
The best park for us is Sandy river but they are always full and this can be a problem for us. I don't like the area around the Columbia River park so we end to avoid it.   
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 04:48:28 AM »
A few tips on the Sandy River Front RV Resort:

We have only accessed the RV park from the downtown Troutdale side.  We have not taken the I-84 Freeway Exit #18 that is on the East side of the Sandy River.  We do not recommend using that Exit #18 which will require driving South upstream on the East side of the Sandy River and turning onto a very narrow bridge just 100 yards from the RV park's entrance.  We recommend using the I-84 Exit #17 which will put you on NW Frontage Road.  The Westbound I-84 Exit #17 is about 1/2 mile East of the Eastbound I-84 Exit #17.  NW Frontage Road makes a one-way loop, counter-clockwise, with the loop ends going under the freeway.  Thus, the NW Frontage Road loop is on both sides of the I-84 Freeway.  From either direction on I-84 the two Exits #17 will put you on NW Frontage Road.  You need to get on the South side of I-84 heading East on NW Frontage Road.  After driving by the Chevron, McDonalds, etc. and two large truck-stop style filling stations, go right (South).  Proceed past the Outlet Mall entrance and across the bridge over the Union Pacific RR (UPRR) - only 1/4 mile or so.  When you get over the UPRR bridge make sure you are in the left lane at the light.  Turn left at the light and drive through downtown Troutdale while taking note of the posted speed, crosswalks and all the pubs, restaurants and shops.  Just stay on that road for another 1/2 mile after leaving the downtown area.  The RV entrance/exit into/out of the RV park is on the the South end of the RV park.  When you see the RV park entrance you will see that narrow bridge about 100 yards in front on this same road.  There is room for two large RVs with toads in the RV park's driveway.  We suggest unhooking the toad there in the driveway.  The check-in office is at the end of the driveway.  This explanation is way too long given the ease of getting to the RV park from the freeway.  Visit Google Maps and it will become quite clear.

We have our own onboard satellite TV, Verizon wifi, shower, etc.  Thus we have little-to-no experience with the RV park's services.

The two center rows are pull-thru parking spots.  Our coach is 45 feet - with toad 72 feet - so I have always told them when I made reservations that the coach does not make short turns.  So we always were given a pull-thru spot that was on the West side of the center two pull-thru rows.

On the NW corner of the RV park there is a bridge that has a weight limit.  RVs don't use that bridge, but once the RV is parked most people use the bridge for easily entering or leaving the RV park in their toads.  If you walk to downtown Troutdale, then use the bridge.  Downtown is only a few hundred yards past the bridge.

Important:  Make sure you do not park your toad on the "street" between the pull-thru parking rows.  The local fire marshal will ticket your toad if it protrudes out into the "street" - $150 if I remember correctly.  The whole RV park is concrete and grass.  The pull-thru is concrete and the toad parking spot is concrete beside the RV pull-thru spot.  I was told by someone there once that the fire marshall awakened him in the middle of the night to hand him his $150 ticket and waited for him to move his toad.

Good luck... and welcome to the rainy side of Oregon.  We live in Hermiston about 190 miles East on the fair-weather side of Oregon.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 04:53:58 AM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 11:05:28 PM »
Larry, that park in Woodland looks great, albeit a bit pricey;  but more to the point and noting the model year of your coach, you are now outside that park's 10 year age limitation too.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 05:20:15 AM »
You would be right Joel if you are talking extended stay sites. But we have stayed for 2 weeks at a time with no problems. Also if your coach is in good condition they will make allowances. It is a very nice RV park on the Columbia River. It's pretty cool to watch the big ships go by right out the front window of your coach in the morning. The only things to be aware of is they are sticklers on making sure your car is not in the roadway and they want a good sewer connection as their site states. We have the Rino sewer hose set up which is accepted by management.
Larry
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine