Author Topic: Add-on sunscreen  (Read 8459 times)

Tic Wilson

Add-on sunscreen
« on: July 18, 2016, 03:54:07 PM »
We purchased a sunscreen which fits into a slot on the main awning to keep afternoon sun from being too intense.  My question: Is it OK to leave it in place and roll it up in the main awning?  Or should I take it down before closing the awning?
Approximate dimension: 12' wide, 6' high.  Anyone with experience or 2nd hand knowledge?  Thanks!

Dan Murphy

Re: Add-on sunscreen
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 04:53:48 AM »
Tic

No problem. When I added mine I used a 2ft drop that I zipped the sunscreen onto because I could not reach the 12" drop. I have rolled it up with my awning for 2 years with no problems. I have never had a tech tell me it was a problem either.

You should be ok!

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 01:53:13 AM »
Are you talking about the automatic Girard awning or a manual awning?
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis

Tic Wilson

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 01:59:57 PM »
Carefree of Colorado, main awning with automatic retract if wind picks up.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 09:38:11 PM »
It's probably the same Carefree automatic awning that Dan's talking about, the Eclipse.  Carefree sells a SunBlocker for it, but they do warn not to roll it up and leave it in place because it can harm the awning material over time.
https://www.e-carefree.com/ecarefree30/cfg?pid=94&co=n&action=cfg

Also, given our negative experience with Care(less) Corp. and the Eclipse motor drive setup, I'd be concerned about the motion sensor kicking the retract on while the blocker is staked down.  I don't have a blocker or experience staking one, but I can conceive the motor fighting the stakes and the steel shaft stripping the aluminum drive sleeve, or the motor burning up, or free-swinging loosened stakes banging up against the coach.  I.e., you'd have to be sure the wind sensor is shut off if using the blocker.

Not to get way off topic here, but for newbies that haven't heard my previous story:
that Care(less) awning setup is not particularly secure, as we discovered;  that steel motor driveshaft to the awning roller's aluminum carrier sleeve business is the only thing keeping the awning from unrolling.  Any restriction to rolling, such as something in an arm track or an unnoticeably bent arm part, can strip that sleeve.  And then, like for us, a bump on a freeway can unfurl the awning at full force enough to rip the fabric out of the roller when it hits bottom.  Believe me, that's not an experience you savor having at 65 mph. 

It's a terrible design, and there should be built-in additional failsafe measures other than the motor shaft locking the awning up. Aftermarket retainers are available though.  It would be best if the powerful motor had an integral transmission or electronic override, so the sleeve couldn't be stripped.  If you hear unusual noise or chatter when the awning's going in or out, be forewarned and have it checked out.

Soap box time expired -
Joel
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 10:15:10 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Tic Wilson

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 12:53:34 PM »
Joel, you captured my thoughts exactly.  I spray a little silicone in the track and the sunscreen installs easily,  Removes just as easy, I just have to get out a ladder to install and remove.  We do turn off the wind sensor, and we don't stake it out.  We saw a dust devil come thru in AZ and rip a full awning off in a heartbeat, so even with a wind sensor, there are no guarantees.
And you are so correct about the drive motor.  We had one fail, midway when retracting.  Carefree shipped us a replacement motor at no cost to us, ..... the point here being that they warned me that any failure could cause the awning to open unintentionally and that we should find a way to secure it while travelling.  Thanks for your feedback!

Dan Murphy

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 02:02:02 PM »
Tic and Joel

I have never trusted my awning to stay closed on the road since we first bought the coach. I would look in the mirror and I could see the rear arm creep out a little from the side of the coach.I was told not to worry by awning people because the motor was on the front arm and would not let the awning come out unexpectedly.

I bought some of those little awning add ons that you slip in the channel and people hang lites on them. They are canvas and have a hole in the middle. They will slip in the channel either side of the awning arm up close to the top of the coach and I use a plastic zip tie to surround the awning arm and pull it tight to the coach and keep it secure.

I have seen add-on retainers installed but this works for me. I just need to remember to cut the zip tie before extending the awning.

Also my add on sunscreen is the type where you only leave a zippered 2 foot piece attached and you unzip the remainder of the sunscreen and stow it away.Very easy to detach or unzip if the wind comes up and you need to put the awning in,

We do stake our awning down while in Fl during the winter but I always turn the wind sensor off.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 03:04:26 AM »
After this thread inspired some new research, I have today been personally notified that there is now available a new device designed to fit the Carefree Eclipse awning.  It is so new that it's not yet readily available, however I have put out an inquiry to the manufacturer and will try to keep you updated. 

Obviously, it is not a Carefree product since they refuse to think their awning needs more secure fastening.  Rather it is an adaptation by an aftermarket company that's been selling it for application on other awning makes and models for some time.  I think it will be around $40 + shipping, and my inclination is that it is superior in several aspects to the Camco strap device I'd considered previously.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Bob Stone

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 07:16:13 PM »
Update:
The manufacturer got back to me this a.m. .  They are backlogged on orders for the new version of their "model B".   As I suspected it would be, it's virtually the same as their previous spring-loaded pin devices, but adapted with a longer mount in order to reach below the large Eclipse heads to where it can fasten to the arm.  The longer mount configuration apparently necessitated the addition of an upper extension which engages the roller shaft rod for stability;  see photo.

The price is around $63 which includes shipping, around $18 more than their other model(s).  I'm not sure there's that much more to the extra bracketing that a guy can't make it for himself out of angle iron, stainless bolts and screws, and some quality paint, and use the $45 model;  as usual, it's what your time is worth.

The concept can be seen here:
http://awninglock.com/model.shtml     (the new version of B is not listed yet)

Attached is a photo of the new version.  I will let you know when it becomes available.

Due to paranoia since the Canadian freeway fiasco, I've not opened the awning and don't recall if the inner part of the arm slides up that high; but in designing their own bracketing, one may have to use discretion regarding precisely where the bolts go through the arm, or carefully choose the bolt type. 

Regardless of how its done, adding this device to our Eclipse would go far toward my peace of mind and being rid of that paranoia, so we could use the awning without fret.

-Joel

Sorry Tic... I seem to have hijacked your thread 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 07:40:41 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Tic Wilson

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 05:07:47 PM »
Really great information Joel.  Thanks for the hiJack and the pursuit.