Author Topic: Fabric Coming Loose  (Read 4062 times)

Norm Green

• BAC Member
Fabric Coming Loose
« on: July 21, 2016, 07:25:46 PM »
The ceiling headliner fabric covering the Fiberglas panel on our drop down tv is coming off on a large corner section.  I have tried a number of spray adhesive products, double back tape and taping the edges of the fabric with no success.  Because the panel is Fiberglas, I can't use any tacks or staples to attach the fabric.  Any one else have this problem and/or any suggestions regarding a possible fix?
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN
2018 Entegra Cornerstone 45W
Previous, four different Beaver coaches

Doug Allman

Re: Fabric Coming Loose
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 08:32:57 PM »
Norm, This may be of no help but I tried to install some rather heavy wall paper on our coach. It was placed over the wood walls that had wallpaper on before and I could not get the glue removed from the wood panels. 3M's best spray adhesive left the paper falling off the wall and I sprayed both in putting up.

After reading many info's on vinyl paper and backing types they said to use a border paste that you used to put a border over vinyl wallpaper. Bought a small bucket for $6.50 from home depot and tried again. It worked fantastically. Up[ and down the road and it is perfectly flat.

I would guess the fiberglass is in the same vinyl type surface group as there is no way for the normal adhesive to get a grip. I would have never thought the 3M would not have held but is sure did not. I even sprayed it twice thinking even though it bubbled severely I could get it to hold with another spray on both parts. NOT so all came off.

Now, this is just some info and I do not know how it may work with the fabric so you may want to test a scrap piece to the fiberglass.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 08:57:57 PM »
Norm,
Regardless of what new glue you choose, be sure to get the old glue off first. Otherwise the new glue will adhere to the old and then the old lets loose.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Norm Green

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 09:10:08 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, I have tried a number of products to remove the old glue with varying success, mostly poor.  One of the issues is the panels location when in place, at the ceiling and subject to heat.
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 05:12:37 AM »
Norm
Recently at BCS I had this discussion with Dan who does all the electronics.  There is a solution and I am sure Ken Carpenter can get that info for you.
The 06 we were looking at has that vinal just hanging completely off.  Aparently the heat causes this and it is common.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Norm Green

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 12:12:19 AM »
Thanks Keith, I'll give Ken a call.  It is the forward corner above the driver that has come loose.  There has to be a fix.
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN