Author Topic: The saga continues. New Inverter on the horizon now. What model Magnum?  (Read 5402 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
My service center called. The new control box for the HWH leveling was installed. Further tests apparently indicate the inverter was also fried with the voltage spike. I know many here have recommended changing to a Magnum inverter when replacing the Xantrex. Does anyone know the model # that will install seamlessly in our Beaver?

Thank you,

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Dick Simonis

If you call Magnum with the info on your current unit they will recommend a virtually bolt in installation.  Their remote uses the same interconnecting cable so no issue there.  The Xantrex battery temp sensor did not work with the magnum but I just cut both cables and connected the Magnum sensor to the existing wire using phone connectors...worked fine.
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
Thanks, Dick. I called them and got the model # for the one I need. MS2012. My dealer is going to order it. I also ordered the control panel, and the battery temp hook up.

Dealer says it looks like there was a lightening strike at the source of my plug in at the storage yard. I only plug in to a 15-20 amp outlet there. I would think the surge protector would have prevented the damage.

Stan
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Dick Simonis

Stan, one thing to double check is whether or not you need the two 120 VAC power outlets that may be optional.  If I remember they come with either 15 or 20 amp breakers.  When I replaced the inverter on my 2000 PT it had 2 15 amp breakers and I upgraded to the 20 amp...solved the occasional trip issue.  If memory serves this added a 15 P or 20 P to the part number.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 02:33:51 PM by Dick Simonis »

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
If you use auto gen start you will probably have to buy a separate unit for the Magnum.  My Xantrex had it in the inverter.  The Magnum I bought has it separate.  I also had to run a wire from the generator time clock to the AGS to tell it when the gen was running.  The Xantrex seems to be a little more sophisticated and complete than the Magnum.  Magnum is thought to be more reliable and Pure Sine Wave (PSW) though.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Jim Murray

• BAC Member
Stan
Double check your warranty, I was told when I replaced mine, "if you don't use the new cable supplied, your warranty is void."
Jim and Lesley Murray
2006 Country Coach Intrigue 42' (10/2017-     
C-13, 525 hp
Towing: '15 GMC Terrain or '97 Jeep
2000 Beaver Marquis 40' (11/2004-10/2017)
1989 Beaver Marquis 40' (5/2002-11/2004)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
Update:
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 05:49:00 AM »
We got the coach back last Thursday, and maybe we will finally leave for our trip on Tuesday. Our insurance concluded that we had a lightening strike that caused the damage and they paid for the repairs, except only half of the deep cycle battery replacement, and less our deductible.

New inverter/charger. New auto generator start and new system control panel. New batteries. New control box for the air leveling.

Frankly, without going on the road, we don't know what we don't know about any other damages.

We would have left today, but Thursday night we had a major electrical storm and our house was hit by lightening. (when it rains it pours..pun intended) We lost a 52" Sony TV, a 32" computer display, 2 DirecTV receivers, the modem/router, my TV ears, and the ethernet card in the PC. Everything was plugged in to surge protection, but it was just so close it didn't matter.

We decided not to leave until everything is replaced. DirecTV is coming on Monday
with new boxes.

Whew! What a summer!
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: The saga continues. New Inverter on the horizon now. What model Magnum?
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 02:00:29 AM »
Stan,
Sorry to hear about your elec problems. We have a place in the AZ mtns that has been hit by lightening and took out all the TVs, etc. Local repair shop told me to replace the surge protectors annually as they loose effectiveness over time in high strike areas. I haven't looked into this from a technical standpoint but will pass on info anyway. I also unplug the surge protectors when leaving overnight or longer.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Doug Allman

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 11:04:22 AM »
In just looking to purchase a surge protector online I came across information from several suppliers same as Steve was informed of. Have never seen that before but it was definitely indicated that they loose their effectiveness over time. Now if they would only let you know what that period involved it would be a significant help.

Edward Buker

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 02:27:41 PM »
Doug,

The problem is not a time dependent issue so the Mfg cannot tell you how long. The MOV (metal oxide varistor), which is the prime  protection device, degrades with over voltage or over current condition that is beyond its specs. They will last essentially forever if they only see spikes within the rated spec. The higher the joules rating of the unit you buy, the more robust the MOV design, and therefor the device can handle and suppress more of the voltage transients that they are likely to see without damage.

The best you can do is buy as high a joules rating, as is cost effective for you, and replace the units if you have sustained a moderate to severe hit of over voltage, usually due to lightning. My rule of thumb is if I get a hit that takes out some electronics that was on a surge protector, then it was a severe enough hit not to be handled by the MOV.  I then consider changing them all out given it is likely the MOV was degraded. This is not a perfect system but it is better then ignoring the limitations of these devices or throwing them away based on an arbitrary time interval.

Later Ed

« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 04:30:25 PM by Edward Buker »