Author Topic: Replacing the Racor Fuel/Water separator with Cat Filter  (Read 8980 times)

Bill Borden

• BAC Member
Replacing the Racor Fuel/Water separator with Cat Filter
« on: August 15, 2016, 04:50:24 AM »
This is an update with regards to The Racor Filter system change out to a Cat Fuel/Water separator discussion.
Thanks to Dave Atherton for supplying me with the part numbers for replacing the Racor system with Cat parts.

After ordering the Filter head, filter and water collection bowl from Cat, (it came with all O-rings and gaskets needed).  I designed and made an Aluminum bracket to mount the Filter head.

Then a trip to the Parker Hose and Fittings Store for the correct Fuel line connections and plugs etc. to marry with the fuel lines. Next assembly.

Priming, I primed the fuel system with the primary Cat primary filter bleeder.  With the Bleeder nut opened, I ran the starter motor from the back panel 3 times approximately 12 to 15 seconds each time, with about 45 seconds in between.
Closed the hex bleeder nut and she fired right up.  Ran great no leaks.

Next problem, the new filter setup was taller and hung down below, so I had a buddy make up a box, complete with a hole in the bottom to access the water collection bowl bleeder.

Road test, I put 500 miles on a trip to the mountains, the motor ran great, seems to be smoother and I am convinced there is added power along with an increase in fuel mileage.  I may be just wishing for the last part.

I always had a worried about the Racor system leaking air, I serviced it every year and checked it often. 
So far I am very happy with the changeover.  I believe it also simplified the fuel system.

I would have included a few pictures of the process; but I haven't figured out how to reduce the picture file in Win 10 to submit it within the size limitations.  Any suggestions there would be helpful. I will provide pictures to anyone that sends me a request.

The cost was about $120. for the project. Plus a nice bottle of Petite Sarah for my buddy who made me the box.

Thanks again to Dave and all the other Forum participants.  Reading the comments and discussion along with past successes gave me the confidence of completion of the job at hand.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions regarding this change over. 

Regards,

Bill Borden
2000 Patriot Thunder
C-12 425 hp 
Cool, California

Doug Allman

Re: Replacing the Racor Fuel/Water separator with Cat Filter
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 06:16:50 PM »
Bill, Looks as if you have had the same results as I did when we also converted as per Dave Atherton to the CAT fuel water separator. I did not however have to do anything other than remove Racor and drill two mounting holes. Had plenty of room. I also previously had changed the hose out per Daves direction so I was ready for the new filter system.
Had no trouble purging.
I have had coach out three times now for somewhere in the 600 mile range and it still runs smoother and quieter. Headed for 1200 miles to Black Hills this Saturday so we will look at fuel mileage to see if there is any difference on the plus side.
Lake Michigan Ferry ride for 4 hours from Ludington to Manitowoc should help that mileage situation tremendously. Wont help the pocket book however but gets you of the wheel for 8 hours. The 6 year old Grandson is also pumped about going on the Ferry.

Bill Borden

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 11:29:04 PM »
Thanks to the information supplied by Steve and Joel, along with time to finally reading the instructions.

I have pictures to post of the installation.

Thanks again to Dave for his assistance.

After taking a few trips I am convinced that I did the right thing in changing out the Racor. 
If anyone is interested in the Racor unit I have all the parts in a box.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 11:30:46 PM by Bill Borden »
Regards,

Bill Borden
2000 Patriot Thunder
C-12 425 hp 
Cool, California
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 01:53:36 AM »
I have been unable to find the original thread that lists the part numbers for this change over. Could someone please post the part numbers and any other information pertinent to this project.
Thank you. Marty

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 02:27:18 AM »
Marty, Caterpillar primary filter parts list,  Cat Part Numbers on following. 137-4367 filterbase,
133-5673  filter element with water sep/fuel,  129-0375 bowl water collector.

Need: 2 plug fittings for filter base
Need: 2 fittings from filter base to -8 JIC male
Note: the bottom plugs and JIC -8 male fittings Cat Dealer should have on hand and install
into filter base. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 04:06:33 PM »
Thank you Dave. Marty

Bill Borden

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 04:51:24 PM »
Dave and Marty,

My Cat dealer did not have in stock the fittings and plugs required, so I had to visit a Hydraulic & fuel line distributor, Parker had all the required fittings.

Everything is working great no leaks, more power, and better performance.

Thanks again Dave for helping me out with this change over.
Regards,

Bill Borden
2000 Patriot Thunder
C-12 425 hp 
Cool, California

Rodney Luker

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 11:35:49 PM »
I would like to install an electric fuel pump near the fuel tank at the front of the coach.
I need to know the requiered amount of flow to feed the c9 engine and where I should tap into the fuel line at the engine to install a presser gauge to find out if it is up to spec.
Can any one supply me with this info ?

Doug Allman

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 11:42:37 PM »
Rodney, There is a TECHNICAL heading on the opening page of the BAC webpage. This is the ASK DAVE area that gets you to Dave whom is a Certified CAT mechanic and club member. He can give you all the input you will need including parts to add a mechanical fuel pump. If you do not find it there then call Dave at 605-999-0720   dave.e.atherton@gmail.com   Dave is a 42 year retired CAT Mechanic.

Rodney Luker

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 11:44:03 PM »
sorry as this is my first post and I thought my profile info would go in automatically
 I have a 2005 monterey laguna with a c9 cat engine

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 02:03:26 AM »
Rodney,
I added the info to your Profile. To make changes, etc, click on your name. Then select Forum Profile under the Modify Profile banner on the left side of the screen. The info you are looking for is in the Signature box. After making desired changes, click on Update Profile.
That's it.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp