Author Topic: CAT MECHANIC PORTLAND OREGON AREA  (Read 6391 times)

KC Snellgrove

CAT MECHANIC PORTLAND OREGON AREA
« on: August 08, 2016, 06:15:23 PM »
GOOD DAY fellow Beaver owners!

I am looking for a new CAT shop to take my Olivia Jean 2005 Beaver Monterey for maintenance. I was told I needed the valves adjusted. So please tell me of a few of your favorites special shops.

Thank you you all so much.  ;)

KC Snellgrove
2005 Beaver Monterey "Olivia Jean"

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: CAT MECHANIC PORTLAND OREGON AREA
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 08:03:41 PM »
KC,
See attached. It's located in the Supplier Kudos, etc. board in the members only section.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 11:09:50 PM »
KC we have used Cat in Eugene for two valve adjustments on our 07 Contessa and have used that dealer ship for a miltitude of maintenance and repairs. They have always been excellent, fyi,Bryan
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present
2007 Contessa 42ft Cat C-9 400hp
1996 to 2006 97 Beaver Patriot Camden

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 12:19:21 AM »
I had our rigs valves done by the CAT service center in PDX  called Perterson CAT so the service & engine warranty is recorded with CAT 

4421 NE Columbia Blvd, Portland, OR 97218
Phone:(503) 288-6411
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 12:21:34 AM by Jerry Carr »
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 04:47:41 AM »
We have dealt with Peterson Cat on Columbia Blvd with three different Beavers and have always felt good.  I don't think you can go wrong with Cat.
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 11:49:56 AM »
KC
For non BCS related repairs we often go to www.brazelsperformancerv.com in Centralia Wa.  They have a small but comfy RV park with hook ups and a shop that can service, adjust, tweak and chip your motor into a stupor.  They can also put it on a Dyno nd check for hiccups. 
Pretty good folks and just 90 miles north of you.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Mike Groves

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 01:02:18 PM »
I was/am happy with Pape' Kenworth in Donald, Oregon just south of 205 a few miles.  I took mine in for very specific service and provided my own materials and they worked with me adapting to what I wanted rather than controlling the situation with their own parts etc.  I compare it to an experience with 2 dentists one time.  I went in complaining of a lost filing and one dentist did a full exam, and totaled the full workscope to be about $7000.  I said I only wanted the tooth refilled.  That dentist said "No, I'll only do the whole job or nothing", so I went to another dentist and they filled the tooth and offered me other optional services. 

This is my experience at Pape' in Donald.  Easy to work with, then used my oil, my filters, my transmission fluid and filters, and simply charged me for their time.  I didn't have an air filter so they quickly got me one from a nearby Napa.  They let me watch the process.

I did ask for a quote for the valve job you're talking about and it was somewhere in the $400's 3 years ago.  I did call Cat Petersen on Columbia Blvd and they had a little cheaper price.  I've not had the service done as I believe it has almost certainly been done by two former owners even though its NOT in Cat's system.  My engine's performance has been great and I just don't like the idea of opening it up.  Maybe someone here can give me some confidence to do so.

Mike

KC Snellgrove

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 04:12:02 PM »
Mike, thank you for the information. I will give them a try. I have not had good experiences at Peterson's Cat on all 3 occasions. I went back because they handled the problems professionally.
Again, thank you.

Sincerely,
KC Snellgrove

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 08:26:18 PM »
I've been aware of that first adjustment advice also, but some have proffered that often they go in and find the valve parameters good and no adjustment necessary.  I've also thought the north Portland Peterson's facility would be a good option, but recall someone here had a bad experience there.  What I tentatively planned was to go to Peterson's in Redmond near the fairgrounds on one of our next passes through BCS.  The Redmond location treated us just fine a few years ago for some basic new-engine checkups and first oil change;  this valve thing seems to fit the preventive checkup description.

Pape' in "Donald" is actually an Aurora address   http://www.papekenworth.com/locations/98/donald/
but they also show a Columbia Blvd. facility you could call for pricing alternatives to Peterson's
http://www.papekenworth.com/locations/3/portland/
My only caution is they show no CAT certification or parts - they use TRP parts apparently;  I'm sure they know CAT, but like Mike, you may opt to supply your parts if you ever wanted scheduled maintenance there.  On Dave Atherton's advice, I try to go mostly CAT-only parts these days.  A valve adjustment may require only a new gasket or seal.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat