Author Topic: Pinion Gear Replacement ~ Rear end issues  (Read 4127 times)

Mike Wild

Pinion Gear Replacement ~ Rear end issues
« on: August 16, 2016, 12:01:05 AM »
I have my 2000 Marquis at an independent shop and they diagnosed bad bearings in the rear end as the cause of a whine. My question is: is it reasonable to spend 30 hours taking the rear end apart and then putting it back on the coach (NOT including actual repair of the unit)? My only related experience is with a truck where you just have to pull the pumpkin - couple hours typically.

So it is $2,000 to have the rear end rebuilt and $3,000 in labor to take it out and put it back?

Comments?

Thanks!

Mike

Tom and Pam Brown

Re: Pinion Gear Replacement ~ Rear end issues
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 12:12:28 AM »
Mike,

First, in my experience, all rear ends whine a bit under load.  Secondly, 30 hours to exchange the chunk seems a bit much.  Not sure they can diagnose a bearing failure before removal.

If it were me, I would run as far and fast as I could!

Doug Allman

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 11:58:32 AM »
Mike, before I would let anyone do anything I would suggest you call Gerald Farris and or Roy Mueller. They both have been and are mechanics that have worked on these type situations and will give you the best direction. Roy ran a fleet of over a 100 trucks that use same style rear ends as you have. He surely will have some input for you.

If you do not have their tel numbers email me and I will forward   douglasallman@gmail.com

john brunson

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 05:57:03 PM »
Run the thing.... it will probably still whine after you rebuild it.... save your $$$ for a more serious issue