Author Topic: Carson City NV to Stockton CA  (Read 4529 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Carson City NV to Stockton CA
« on: April 24, 2018, 08:06:53 PM »
We are planning a late summer trip to Yosemite, Kings Canyon, and Sequoia National Parks. We are taking I-80 west to I-580 down to Carson City, NV, and then to Stockton, Modesto, and Merced in CA. Our trip planner shows a CA route 88 to Stockton. It looks like there are some switchbacks along the way while going over the mountains. Is that route okay for our Beaver?
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Mandy Canales

• BAC Member
Re: Carson City NV to Stockton CA
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 10:50:41 PM »
Stan...We taken that route from west to east and had no trouble, but that trip we were in a 34' Beaver.  It's quite mountainous but can be done.
Mandy
Mandy Canales
90 Beaver Marquis 40'
Cat 3208
Charter Member
Apple Valley, CA

Bruce Sieloff

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 05:35:56 PM »
Stan, some routes in CA are restricted for RV travel by the state due to length and weight, you can Google the CA website and find if 88 is one of them. Generally those sections are marked with a sign, but you don't want to find that out at the last minute. If you don't have CoPilot or a similar app that lets you define you are in an RV and delete routes with low bridges, weight limits, tolls, etc. it would be a good idea to find one. We were out by Angels camp on 49 last year and while the road is doable in a 45' Coach I wouldn't say my DW didn't have a few choice things to say about my choice of routes. I would be careful about going into Yosemite if you are uncomfortable with steep grades and no shoulders. The CA back roads are great scenic routes but they can be a challenge. 8)

Russ Mann

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 03:18:57 AM »
Stan,  We take this route to the Bay Area quite often, not a problem for the 400 CAT. The climb up the pass is fairly straight with the last 3 miles being steep. I keep my exhaust brake on all the way down from the summit to Jackson. Beautiful scenery, watch for deer at the higher elevations. The only part that will worry the copilot is about a mile past Kirkwood Ski area. Take it slow and enjoy the drive/ride.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 04:02:22 AM »
We aren't going to take the coach in to the National Parks, or not even near them. We will be staying at Sequoia RV Ranch in Three Rivers, and will do our sightseeing with the toad.

Thanks for all of the great information.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad