Author Topic: Can I use water pump to access tank water while hooked to city water?  (Read 5222 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Is it okay to use water from the tank, via water pump, while hooked to city water? My reason for asking is:

1. I have a full tank of water that was filled while hooked to our portable water softener, and thus it's soft.

2. The softener is in need of re-generation after more than two weeks of use. It's raining and forecast for continuous rain until I move to my next location. I don't want to be out in the rain while I'm re-generating.

3. Becky would like soft water for her hair, etc.

Your input would be appreciated. Thank you.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Can I use water pump to access tank water while hooked to city water?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 04:22:35 PM »
Stan,
If I understand your question correctly, yes it is OK to use water from your tank when hooked to city water. I always use my tank water as I get constant pressure from the pump. I use shore water only to add water to the tank when needed. Then I turn spigot off at shore water access point. You can also switch between the 2 sources to save your soft water for washing etc.
Steve
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 04:24:36 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 04:30:52 PM »
Stan,
You can use your water pump while hooked to city water, but it will only run and supply you with tank water if the city water pressure falls below the cut-on point for the water pump switch. If you want to use the water in your tank only, just go out and turn off the city water facet, but leave every thing hooked-up and your pump will supply you with water only from your tank.

Gerald

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 04:57:49 PM »
Thank you Steve and Gerald for the replies. I won't mess up the prime of the pump if I am on city water (hooked up and water on at the source) if I accidentally turn on the water pump? When I do that, unintentionally, which source is being used? The fresh water tank or the city water inlet?

Thank you,

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 06:54:38 PM »
Stan,
If you have your water pump turned on and the city water turned on at the same time, the source of the water that you are using will depend upon the pressure and flow rate of the city water supply. If the pressure in your water system falls below the turn-on point for the pump, you will be using a mixture of both. But if the city water supply is able to maintain pressure above the turn-on point for the pump, you will only be using city water. If you only want to use tank water, turn off the city water supply. 

Gerald 

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 10:50:24 PM »
I discovered a year or so ago that my on-board pump supplies water at a much more satisfying pressure than any shore water I have run across so far.  In order to keep showers satisfying we use it all the time.  Even hooked up to shore water I have to fill my on-board tanks every couple of days to support 4 people taking showers.  So on my coach it does empty the tank when I use the on-board pump regardless of whether shore water is hooked up.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Tic Wilson

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 02:58:18 PM »
We too, use tank management.  What I mean by that is that we fill our fresh water tank and use that as our source.  I installed a slightly higher flow rate water pump and find it is more adequate than any outside water source.  The primary reason for lower flow from an outside source is that when one reads about water safety issues across the country, we attach to the outside source , then go thru a sediment filter, a carbon filter and our water softener to fill our fresh water tank.