Author Topic: New roof AC  (Read 2931 times)

Roy Deeble

New roof AC
« on: August 23, 2016, 10:58:38 PM »
I installed a new 15k Penguin AC unit with heat pump only to find this unit will not function with the installed five button thermostat.  I had to upgrade to a newer 10 button model for those considering a replacement.  My question concerns what appears to be a relay in the 5" X 5" junction wire box, because the new AC came with the smaller 2-1/2 x 5" box and no relay.  I am guessing it keeps both front and rear units from starting at the same time because it appears to interrupt ground.  I emailed Dometic for some guidance, but no response for a week.  I know the electronics in this new unt is more sophisticated, but can it eliminate this relay/solenoid in the old junction box?  Does anyone have experience with this issue? 

By the way I found the connection to the ductwork restricted airflow by at least 30%, that is air outlet and the inlet to the duct were misaligned by an 1-1/2" and the connector tube was squashed.  Don't know if the unit was previously replaced, but given where the hole in duct is located it appears to be a factory manufacturing issue.  New one works great after my modifications to the intake duct.

The following users thanked this post: Bob Stone

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: New roof AC
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 01:40:11 AM »
Our center (of three) rooftop air conditioner-heat pump's compressor seized and we replaced the unit two years ago.  The new unit (out of Portland, Oregon) had an extra cost to retrofit it electronically to work with the bedroom's single 5-button thermostat.  The single bedroom thermostat controls both the center and bedroom air conditioner-heat pumps.  I do not know whether the retrofit was due to a too new of engineering design for our 2004 model coach, due to some requirement of the older 5-button thermostat, or due to the single 5-button thermostat controlling the two rooftop units (center and bedroom units).  Mike Flowerday in La Pine, Oregon did the work and I seem to remember him saying the electrical modification was required because of something to do with the one bedroom thermostat controlling two rooftop units.  It works fine - all three units work fine.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Joe Rhea

Re: New roof AC
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 09:11:14 PM »
David:
When you up grade from one series stat to another you have to change the control board in each unit that stat controls.