Author Topic: Air over hydraulic brake pedal height  (Read 3225 times)

Ed Dubois

Air over hydraulic brake pedal height
« on: August 23, 2016, 11:21:58 PM »
As a new owner of a 2001 Patriot with air over hydraulic brakes I have a question. The brake pedal on our coach is a metal one with the hinge point at the bottom. The pedal size and height is the same as the 'gas' pedal. Both my wife and I find it odd and a bit awkward to drive so were wondering if it's possible to adjust the height and/or angle of the brake pedal? Our previous coach (a Monterey) had a more typical pedal like we have in our car - we much prefer that.

I vaguely remember that car brake pedal heights could be adjusted but have no idea if the same holds true with an air over hydraulic.

Ed

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
Re: Air over hydraulic brake pedal height
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 03:15:16 AM »
I understand your pain.  Took me 14 years and never really got use to those stupid pedals.  The answer is not easily.  They can be moved by reinstalling them on the floor. This would be a real problem and could create more problems than it solves. 

Just feel for the little notch in the brake pedal and hook your heal in that notch.  You will begin to know exactly which petal is the gas and which one is the brake.
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Ed Dubois

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 09:05:11 PM »
Thank you Karl. I suspect that's going to be reality for us too. I have asked a friend who is an HD diesel mechanic with lots of experience with braking systems: hydraulic, air and air over hydraulic but haven't heard back from him yet. If I get any useful info I'll be sure to post it here.

Ed

Ed Dubois

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 11:25:11 PM »
Heard back from my friend and he confirmed what I feared: these units are set to a "standard height" and aren't adjustable... sigh. I guess we'll just learn to love it!