Author Topic: SMC leveller Auto retraction question  (Read 4177 times)

Ed Dubois

SMC leveller Auto retraction question
« on: August 28, 2016, 01:56:16 AM »
Still getting used to our new 2001 Patriot and trying to understand how things work. Today when retracting the levellers using the automatic retraction it seemed to take forever and still not get done. Forever was about 5 minutes of holding down the button while the unit made a variety of small adjustments. After that I used the manual retraction option which got the rams up quickly as expected.

My question: is this normal behaviour or should the automatic behave pretty much like the manual? Anyone know why there are both automatic and manual retraction options? It seems to me that retraction is retraction - what am I missing?

Ed

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
Re: SMC leveller Auto retraction question
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 03:45:54 AM »
Ed,

The auto retraction will only work if the system has been continuously in the "on" setting.  If you turn the power switch off or accidently hit it off then back on, it will only retract using the manual process.

Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Ed Dubois

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 07:09:26 PM »
Thank you Karl - that makes more sense. Time for me to reread the documentation since I don't remember seeing that before.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 04:49:17 AM »
Ed, the manual isnt the easiest to understand.  Add to that the orientation of the buttons with front being to the left etc.  It can be confusing.
Just a suggestion.  Read the part on auto operation and semi auto operation.  There is manual retract but no manual operating for set up. 
Somehow I once got the system so confused I could only shut it down completely and wait then manual retract and start over.
Best of luck
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Roy Lewis

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 10:25:28 PM »
Hi, we have 02 Marquis Tourmaline and our last move I confused our system also, LOL. Had to start over rather embarrasing.  Fellow Beaver owner helped me figure what I did wrong

Ed Dubois

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 11:21:55 PM »
Hi Keith and Roy

Thank you both - I don't feel quite so stupid now. After years of RVing (with different makes of levellers) I was really beginning to think I was losing my marbles! And that panel with left at the rear etc got me going too. It seems like a reasonably effective system but the user interface could use a little something. :)