Author Topic: 2000 Beaver Marquis interior wood has haze on finish after storage  (Read 7898 times)

Larry Wilson

We bought our coach new in 2000, it has been in storage and now has developed a cloudy haze finish on some of the wood cabinets.  It has always been plugged in with the air on here in Florida.  Is there a way to bring back the shine?  We have the Cherry Wood finish. Have tried Pledge, etc. with no luck.
Larry Wilson

Jeremy Parrett

Re: 2000 Beaver Marquis interior wood has haze on finish after storage
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 03:50:33 AM »
We have a 2000 Marquis with the same issue .We live with it after finding out our ECO friendly builder    decided to use water based  varnish on our coach year !!!

Mike Groves

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 01:47:02 PM »
Jeremy and Larry,

All of us with these same era coaches have this same problem, more or less.  I have it less, good for me, but I have noticed it is beginning to spread a little.  Most of mine is up front in the corners, but after storage last year, I did notice some beginning to form near the air conditioner ducting in the bathroom - just the top of a single door.

Is it freezing temperatures?  High humidity?  High heat?  Jeremy since you've found that ours was done with a water based varnish, then what condition then is lending itself to that ECO friendly decision that creates this issue?

We are living in ours fulltime now, but on the Oregon coast our inside temperatures have been from 59 at night on up to 70 or so during the day inside.  Humidity has been 65% or less inside.  Anyone who is full-timing noticed the issue has gotten worse and if so what conditions exist in your coach typically?

Mike

Larry Wilson

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 02:45:57 PM »
My Marquis has been in Florida for the last 8 years, always plugged in with the Air on.  Temp about 80 or less.  Would think there must be some way to fix it.
Larry

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 03:02:36 PM »
Larry,

The moisture has been absorbed into the finish as a result of long term exposure to humidity. I do not know what the mechanism is, as the finish ages, that puts it over the edge and causes this issue to appear. It may be just a long slow process and because the finish will absorb moisture at some point it is inevitable because it is a material problem with this finish. Sooner with a humid environment, later probably in a dry one.

Short of baking it under vacuum I know of no way to force the moisture out of the finish. The response I have read online by wood finishers is to strip all of the wood and refinish it which is literally impossible. I have a 2002 Marquis and so far have seen none of this issue. I am unsure which years have seen the problem beyond 2000. Not sure when finish improvements were made at the factory or by the supplier.

Later Ed

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 03:28:29 PM »
If it's a humidity issue, and I believe also that's what it is, then the bathroom should be showing the worst haze from the shower.  Our Marquis spent its early years in Ontario, OR with its original owner, then later in Vancouver, BC with its second owner.  When we purchased the coach four years ago in August it came back to Hermiston, OR.  Both Ontario and Hermiston are low humidity year round.  Our coach shows very little haze but there are a few small areas showing some light haze.  I do not know the history of our coach's travels by the previous owners, but during our ownership it has been mostly between Hermiston and Yuma - low humidity areas generally.

My brother's 2000 Marquis has way more haze than ours.  There are places in his Marquis that are white enough to almost block seeing the darkness of the underlying wood.  I seem to remember that the previous owners of his Marquis had property in both Florida and Arizona.  So it's probable his coach spent some time in Florida.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 04:03:56 PM »
Larry,
The problem is moisture. If the haze is on the surface, a good polish like OZ (available from Amazon) will remove it, but if it is under the finish, there is no way to correct it short of refinishing the affected cabinets. There is very little haze anywhere in my coach, but I spend most of my time in dry areas like wintering in Arizona.

I have heard reports of the haze diminishing significantly in coaches that are moved from a very wet area like Florida to a very dry area like Arizona, but I have not seen the improvement myself, although I can see how this could happen. I am in the Phoenix area now and the relative humidity yesterday was 8% and it was 4% the day before that. 

Gerald

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 05:25:27 PM »
In 1994 when our house was built, the cabinet subcontractor was displeased that new EPA regulations were making him use water-based finishes, due as I recall to their attempt to minimize toxic vapor exposure both for industry employees during application and customers as the finish cured over time.  I would guess that is why the specific era of coaches here is having the issue;  they have water-soluble finishes that, when exposed to higher moisture content air, absorb some of it on the wood surface.  Older, more volatile and vaporous oil-based formulations would conceivably be more moisture repellant. 

My subcontractor warned that our cabinets would likely be less resistant to discoloration than any built previously, and sure enough they haven't held up all that well, especially whitening along the door edges or floor area where the wood is exposed more to wet mops or hands, and seams where the wood grain changes.  Fortunately, the cabinets are maple (we had grown tired of the commonly used oak cabinetry during our house-hunting) and don't show it quite as badly as a darker wood probably would.  The cabinetmaker had no confidence in the finish he was forced to use, and said we'd probably somewhere along the line have to use extra-fine steel wool to knock down the bad spots, and apply clear Varathane.

I've never been confident enough in my refinishing abilities to tackle the job in the house, and Lee brings the issue up regularly, so one of these days I'll have to get out the steel wool, close my eyes, and start in.  After 21 years the discoloration has become so extensive that it detracts from the value of the house, and I should just bite the financial bullet and have a cabinet professional redo them all with a modern finish.   

I have to think that the industry fought back by coming up with more durable, moisture-resistant formulations subsequent to that mid to late 90's period, and which still met EPA guidelines for volatility and toxicity.  The clear finish on the cherry in our '06 Beaver hasn't shown any noticeable deterioration, certainly not like what happened within only a few years in our house.  I'm sure the wood experts at any of our resources in Bend have been there, done that more than anyone, and could proffer advice to those with coaches from that era. 

Yes, relative humidity can be higher in the northwest and southeast, but I'd expect it to be more damaging in places like Florida than Washington, for example.  The warmer moist air I'd think would be more aggressive at penetrating the more open pores of warmer wood substrate, and the chemistry of a softer warm surface finish that's designed from the get-go to dissolve in water.  The humid air dissolution, however, isn't controlled and is incomplete, resulting in microsolids that appear as a haze.

Joel
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 05:34:50 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jeremy Parrett

Re: 2000 Beaver Marquis interior wood has haze on finish
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 12:38:29 AM »
There is only one solution to this issue.  Strip and refinish the cabinet work with a good marine varnish.
  I believe a few owners have started this process with great success by removing one cabinet at a time .
  My wife has also suggested removing the cabinet door veneers ; sanding these areas along with the rest of the door and just refinishing them normally.