Author Topic: Disappearing Hydraulic Fluid  (Read 7538 times)

Dick Simonis

Disappearing Hydraulic Fluid
« on: September 26, 2016, 05:46:27 PM »
When we got to Santa Fe yesterday the hydralic pump for the slide and jacks sounding like it was sucking air so today I popped the stair step cover off and looked at the tank level...empty.

The puzzle is that I have not seen any signs of fluid in the bays or under the coach.  In June I had BCS replace the slide hoses and I know the refilled the tank so now what the heck is happening.  I'll run into town and pick up some ATF which is what I think it uses.  This must be related to by LR jack that won't stay extended in some fashion.

Does anyone know for sure what I should use and how much the tank holds.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Dick

Gerald Farris

Re: Disappearing Hydraulic Fluid
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 06:05:05 PM »
Dick,
Your leveling system uses Dexron III fluid, but I am not sure of the quantity that you will need.

If your leveling system is loosing fluid, it has an external leak that you should be able to find with an adequate search. Remember, if your leveling system has a leak, it will get worse over time.

Gerald 

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 06:21:16 PM »
I would refill with dexron III. Then I would operate the jacks and look near the hyd line fittings for a leak. Then if none found check the hydro lines for the slideout. Depending on when the fluid was refilled to the tank being empty should give you an idea of how bad a leak you have from that timeframe.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Dick Simonis

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 02:17:05 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  Yesterday I filled the tank....took about 1 1/2 gallons and cycled the slide and jacks while watching the fluid level.  No noticeable drop in level but the fluid got aerated immediately.  What is interesting is that the problematic LR jack held level and is still OK this morning.

Good news is that the jack appears to be OK, bad news I must have a leak somewhere but it's also must be small.  It's been 3 months since it was refilled at BCS and the system has been in constant use since that time.  There is no evidence of a leak around the pump and no fluid dripping in in the bays nor anything obvious on the ground under the coach.  Not saying I don't have one, just can't easily see it.  I'll keep an eye on the fluid level at our next stops at Holbrook and Camp Verde, AZ and see what happens but it appears I can make it home OK and than dig into it more deeply.

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 02:38:36 PM »
          Hi Dick,
 When I first got my coach I had a similar mystery. It turned out to be a slide room hose seeping inside the frame rail above the forward compartment on the drivers side. The reason I couldn't find it was the carpet liner in the compartment was absorbing the small leak until it was saturated. I ended up changing both hoses. To purge the air out of the system, just hold the switch down for 5 seconds after the room finishes moving to push the air past the pressure relief valve before going back to the reservoir.
   Regards, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Dick Simonis

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 04:32:40 PM »
Hi Fred, both my slide hoses were replaced by BCS in June.  The new hoses didn't route through the left frame rail or even into the bays as far as I'm aware.  However, since I don't know exactly where the ram is I'm not sure if a leak at the ram would show up in a bay.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 08:38:44 PM »
Dick,
The hydraulic cylinder (ram) for your living room slide is located above your generator between the frame and outer slide frame. It is very visible if you open the generator bay door.

Gerald   

Dick Simonis

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 12:25:37 AM »
Thanks Gerald...right where you said it should be and nothing leaking.  LR jack is still holding and no fluid visible on the ground.

When we pull out Sunday I will move the coach and wander back and look for a puddle before departing.

Dick Simonis

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 11:09:24 PM »
Update on this issue:

When Fred was here yesterday one of his tasks was to find where my LR jack was leaking.  After crawling around under the coach he reported no fluid leaks from the jack or fitting but did find evidence of fluid under the water bay and left frame rail.  Sure enough when we opened up the water bay there was fluid on top of the tanks so now a new problem to fix.

So now it's about 1:30 pm and Fred recommended a local company that specializes in Hydraulics so gave them a call and got a most amazing response....they would have someone at my place by 2:30 and take care of the problem.  I was shocked, never heard of such a response.  Sure enough right on time here comes the truck.  By this time I decided to replace the extend hoses on both rear jacks figuring if one died the other may not be far behind.  Downside, he did not have enough hose on his truck for both jacks so we decided to postpone until this morning.

Long story short, it took 2 guys  7 hours to do the new hoses with a lot of the time spend just fishing the new hoses through the water bay but I'm now up and operational.  Great job, everything neat and I didn't have drop of fluid on my garage floor.

Cost-wise I though it was very fair at just under $700.00 to replace the two hoses.

If you ever need hydraulic hoses done while in Tucson I can't say enough about these guys.

http://www.pirtekusa.com/locations/pirtek-palo-verde/

Gerald, if you're going to have any vendors at the Tucson Rally you might consider these guys.

Dick
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 02:45:09 PM by Dick Simonis »
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Fred Brooks

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 01:25:55 AM »
     Hi Dick and fellow Coach owners, Pirtek USA is a national company all over USA. With aging coaches, we deal with all sorts of adventures. Pirtek specializes in all hydraulic mobile applications and can be a great resource where ever your located.
   Hope this helps, Fred Brooks
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Karl Welhart

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2016, 04:43:35 AM »
Dick, Fred,
Thanks for the input on Pirtek. I've added them to the Service Providers List located in the Suppliers Kudos board.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: LaMonte Monnell, Fred Brooks