Author Topic: Uh oh..this isn't good. Curbside bedroom slide.  (Read 5180 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Uh oh..this isn't good. Curbside bedroom slide.
« on: October 07, 2016, 02:33:58 AM »
Went to put out the curbside bedroom slide, and it got about 2/3 of the way out, heard a big clunk, and it stopped. It comes in okay.

This picture shows what I found behind the woodwork on the side where the closet is located. It's some kind of bracket that has broken loose from the frame of the box.

It looks like it will take someone with more knowledge and tools than me to repair it.

My questions are:

Do you think it can be repaired?
What do you think caused it to tear apart like that?

Thanks.
(click on the image to make it larger)
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Uh oh..this isn't good. Curbside bedroom slide.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 03:59:21 AM »
I think I would be very careful who repaired this.  Seems like a wrong repair here would be a very bad thing indeed.

If you are close to BCS it would be my first choice.  A second choice might be a suggestion from BCS. 
Ken Carpenter can see this picture on the forum so if you call him perhaps he could offer a suggestion.

Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 04:12:31 AM »
I'm in Illinois, so BCS wouldn't be an option. What about HWH? Iowa is close.
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 06:16:16 AM »
I have used Duncan RV Service in Elkhart, IN for some repairs, although not for the slide.  They were good to work with and the techs were knowledgeable.  We stayed in the coach for the 3 days we were there and got very little sleep as there is a railroad switching yard and a salvage yard extremely close.  Still would recommend them if you are in the area.
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Bob Jae

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 07:24:29 AM »
If you can go to Elkhart I would recommend

PJ McGann
Service Writer
Pro Custom Inc.
29079 County Road 20
Elkhart, IN 46517
574-217-0399

He used to be at Elkhart Sales and Service.  He is know for being able to fix slides and is an x Monaco Factory Tech.  Also a very good Paint person.  He fixed our Bedroom slide that looks similar to yours from what I can tell.  Ours is hydraulic and goes out with scissor arms on the sides.  It had loose bolts and some were missing.  He also adjusted one of our front slides. 
There are a lot of good recommendations for him on the Monacoers Yahoo Group.

Joe Rhea

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 01:47:05 PM »
Stan:
I had too repair mine and you have two options. The first one is to get a size larger leg screw 5/16 x 3/4 or 1 the best I remember. You will have to pry the arm back over to align the holes and you may have to bump the switch a little. Hopefully you haven't warped the arms.
The second choice is to get some SS carriage bolts that are long enough to go through the side wall and secure the mechanism this way. You need to pull the trim on the other side and check the screws all so. While you have the area open spray the mechanism with silicone lube.

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 12:20:33 AM »
Thanks for all of the suggestions and tips. I didn't make myself clear. I live in Illinois but at present we are traveling home from Maine. Right now we are at the Camp Perry National Guard Station in Port Clinton, OH, so Duncan Systems, or Pro Custom were viable options.

@Roy Warren. We used Duncan in the past, and also stayed for three days backed in to one of their little pads while waiting for a part. Called them and they are booked until the 1st of November. I have a Dr's appointment that I have to make on the 13th of Oct.

@Bob Jae. I talked to PJ. The soonest they could get me in was next Thursday, so that option is gone as well. I had a nice conversation with him regarding my issue.

I've decided to take it to my service center at home to see what they recommend. Only 15 miles from home. I'll post the results when I have some answers.

2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad