Author Topic: radiator compartment baffle  (Read 4770 times)

David Privitera

radiator compartment baffle
« on: October 07, 2016, 03:25:01 AM »
There are rubber baffles at the front and rear of my radiator compartment.  They're 1/8" thick cloth reinforced rubber sheets that run from a frame inside the body panel across to a frame behind the radiator.  The baffle towards the front of the coach has dried and cracked and is not salvageable.  The one towards the rear is ok but starting to crack.  Are these parts available anywhere or will I need to fabricate them from sheet stock.

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Re: radiator compartment baffle
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 03:58:47 AM »
David, these are very important to your air flow through the CAC and radiator for correct
cooling. It is something that needs to be in place. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 01:18:00 PM »
Hi David I just fix one of these on Dean Johnson's 05 Monterey. it had crack along the front mounting. I was able to punch new holes in the membrane and stretch it for the quick repair. I think Dean was heading over to BCS to see if the stock the rubber sheets(I think they do)  I think the repair will take some time but is something you can do

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

David Privitera

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 02:06:38 PM »
I called BCS yesterday and the parts person I spoke with needed to do some research into what the part is and whether they have it / them.  Hopefully I'll hear from him today.  In the meantime I'm looking for raw stock locally that I can use to fabricate my own baffles.  They don't look too complicated to make.  Best I can tell, 1/8 thick fabric reinforced neoprene should do the trick.  Does anyone know if that's a good material?

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 03:37:56 AM »
David, what works real well is buy a mud flap like you see on back of over road trucks,
cut into strips and mark and drill your holes. Any parts house or truck garage would have them.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 04:05:38 AM »
David, what works real well is buy a mud flap like you see on back of over road trucks,
cut into strips and mark and drill your holes. Any parts house or truck garage would have them.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Thats exactly what I did to repair my mudflaps in the fender wells.

I bought some big semi flaps and cut them down and removed the existing worn sections and bolted new on.

Also when I redid the insulation in the engine area last January while the radiator and CAC was out, I re did some of the firewall areas better.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 04:34:20 AM »
David,
If you have access to it, a piece of used conveyer belt of the same thickness makes a great and very durable replacement.

Gerald

Edward Buker

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 04:35:01 AM »
David,

There is probably nothing tougher then mud flap material if you can work with it in the radiator compartment as Dave and Lamonte recommended. It would probably last as long as the coach.

The rubber material contours around my radiator compartment make some pretty hard bends. This place has a lot of rubber type materials in various thicknesses and their applications are listed. They may be worth a call to see what they might recommend if the bends that you see require a more workable material then the mudflap material.

http://www.rubbercal.com/sheet-rubber/neoprene-rubber/neoprene-commercial-grade-50a.html

Later Ed

David Privitera

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2016, 12:46:39 PM »
Thanks for the mudflap suggestion.  I made a template from the pieces of the old part and will pick up a mudflap today.  I'll let you know how I make out.