Author Topic: Pulsing lights and voltage gauge bouncing  (Read 4396 times)

Mike Wild

Pulsing lights and voltage gauge bouncing
« on: September 29, 2016, 08:46:06 PM »
Hi all,

Trying to leave in the morning and in checking coach last night the needle on the volt gauge on the dash is bouncing between 12-15. The headlights and ceiling lights also pulse from bright to dim. With only the generator on, no problem.

The Leese alternator is not available locally but did find a local Delco Remy that was cross numbered. Can anyone help me understand the wiring of the Delco alternator into my coach? My buddy is a retired mechanic and will do the install but the Delco looks dissimilar to the Leese.

Did some reading on here of older posts and found suggestions on checking ground and other wiring for poor connection. Will do that tonight also.

Lastly, the Lease alternator has a good size crack (3 inches) in the housing so I am going to replace it even if it is the wiring that is the true culprit.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Mike

Mike Wild

Re: Pulsing lights and voltage gauge bouncing
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 11:55:27 PM »
All,

Installation of the Delco went well. I took pictures and will post for future reference. The old alternator had a flat spot in the armature (sp?).

Gauge and Silverleaf both show voltage at 14.1. The Delco is 12 volt as opposed to the 14 volt on the Leese so not sure why that is but the flickering has stopped and all seems good.

As a novice I really appreciate this forum and hope someday to repay the favors!

Mike

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 01:44:12 PM »
Mike,

Just a quick check with the new Delco, the 12V vs the old Leece 14.1V, where was that read? You should be getting 13.2-14.2V or so at the chassis battery posts to assure adequate charging. Check there and if that is fine then you are good to go.

The dash gauges for sure are not accurate and as you turn things on like the dash blower motor, the readings drop due to local loads at the dash which has no bearing on what the voltage is that the battery is being supplied.

Later Ed

Mike Wild

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 04:59:26 PM »
We had readings from 14.1 to 14.5 during the entire 1,500 trip. That was on the Silverleaf - the dash gauge was 16 or so, which confirms your thoughts on the accuracy of that gauge.

Google Delco Remy Instruction sheet 10524210 and it gives details on installation (or email me and I will send it to you). Reaching the ground was a bit of a challenge so we re-routed that wire to the front of the engine to get more room.

We had good results with the Delco but I am thinking about buying and installing a Leece and keeping the Delco as a spare. Am I crazy in thinking you are better off replacing with exact parts or is a substitution okay (ie Delco for Leece)?

Thanks,

Mike

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 07:12:56 PM »
Mike,

That range of voltage is fine, 14.1 to 14.5V is in the range of normal charging voltage. It can be below those readings if your bank is discharged just because of the current draw by the banks. The voltages you are seeing are right for well charged batteries, if you see the voltage lower, in the 13.5V or so don't be concerned, that will rise while on the road with battery charge state.

Later Ed

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 04:20:45 AM »
Mike,
There is no reason to replace your Delco alternator if it is functioning properly. The Leece Neville is not a superior unit to the Delco, and therefore, the only reason to replace the Delco is personal preference. Just like who makes the best pickup, Ford, Chevrolet, or Dodge?

Gerald
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson