Author Topic: Fueling  (Read 5919 times)

Roy Lewis

Fueling
« on: September 30, 2016, 08:11:30 AM »
We have  02 Marquis Tourmaline non tag. I was wondering if there is a trick to fueling without spilling diesel.  No matter how slow I fuel I get alot of blow back.  Thank you for replies in advance.

Marty and Suzie Schenck

Re: Fueling
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 03:39:26 PM »
Try fueling with a auto diesel fuel nozzle instead of the high speed truck nozzle. They fuel at a slower speed. Also, try fueling from one side or the other. I find that filling my Thunder from the right side using the auto nozzle I get no or very little splash back.
Marty

Bill Sprague

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 03:40:56 PM »
On my '04 Monterey, I had to put the nozzle in only enough to put the lip of the nozzle inside the filler opening.  Then usually I could fuel with the nozzle set to the lowest notch.  One of my favorite fuel stops flowed too fast, even at the lowest notch.  I made a wedge for the handle out of thin plywood that would hold the nozzle open at less than the first notch. 

On edit, I see that while I was typing Marty beat me!  Good morning Marty!!

Roy Lewis

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 03:42:24 PM »
I will give it a go, thanks
The following users thanked this post: John Forister

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 05:06:32 PM »
Roy,
The fueling problem on your SMC era Beaver is caused by the tank location in most cases, because the tank is located above the front axle in the center of the coach with two or three 90 degree bends in the filler hose between the filler neck and tank. This fuel tank arrangement mandates a slow fuel flow rate when filling, so using a high volume truck nozzle at full flow is impossible.

If the tips in the post above do not correct you issues, you probably have a restricted vent valve. The vent valve is located at the end of a 3/8 inch hose that is located at top edge of your fuel tank, usually the LF edge. The vent valve is a check valve that lets air escape from the top of the tank as you add fuel. It is fairly easily cleaned or replaced if necessary, but do not remove it because it is necessary to prevent fuel leaks.   

Gerald

Dennis Belfils

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 12:47:53 AM »
On our 06 Monterey, we found that removing the cap from the opposite side allowed better venting & a fast fill..........
The following users thanked this post: Bob Stone

Roy Lewis

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 01:15:05 AM »
Thanks all, I will check on these Ideas. Appreciate the replies!

Dale Walker

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 02:48:14 AM »
If I try to fill my Monterey from the passenger side it will not allow either the auto nozzle or the diesel nozzle to flow more than the first notch. I ended up milking over 40 gals. in after the nozzle tripped off.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2016, 03:51:38 AM »
Dennis,
Removing the opposite side fuel cap will help on many Monaco built Beavers, but you need to be careful to be level so you are not pumping fuel out the other side. However on the SMC built Beavers like the one Roy was asking about, it will not help because the filler hose enters the tank at about the 1/4 tank level and the only way for air to exit the top 3/4 of the tank is the vent hose.

Gerald

Roy Lewis

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 08:12:15 AM »
Thank you Gerald.

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 02:09:13 PM »
I sometimes have issues with filling the tank on my 2001 Contessa too. I always use the truck pumps with the bigger nozzles though. I usually end up having to hold the handle the whole time but every once in a while I get lucky. My gas cap fits behind the handle and locks the trigger on the low setting every now and then and saves me from holding it forever.

Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl