Author Topic: Crater Lake NP  (Read 4907 times)

Bob Jae

Crater Lake NP
« on: October 08, 2016, 09:11:43 AM »
We are leaving the coast Monday and staying in Creswell for a week.  Looking for CG recommendations to stay at to visit Crater Lake after we leave Creswell.  How would the drive be from Creswell this time of year.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Crater Lake NP
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 02:55:05 PM »
In the higher passes it's getting to the time of year when temperatures will range from near freezing overnight to 50 F or so during the mid-days.  That means at least frost from late at night to mid-morning, and at worst a snow event that will stick for several days.  The mountain peaks have already received snow that will likely remain until next Summer.  Mount Bachelor's ski area near Bend has snow now and has 3 of 12 lifts operating.  None of the other ski areas in Oregon have snow yet, but most years all the ski areas hope to be fully operating by Thanksgiving.

Your shortest route would be I-5 South to Canyonville, then OR227 via Tiller to connect with OR62 at Trail.  We took that route from Crater Lake to Canyonville to attend the prior Beaver Rally at Canyonville in 2013.  And that was in early September; we will not take that route again... slow, narrow, sharp corners, log trucks.  But if you can tolerate the screaming from the right seat, then give it a try.

I am not familiar with your next shortest route through Oakridge and Chemult on OR58.

Crater Lake NP has a beautiful RV park and is reasonably priced.  We stayed at the Union Creek Campground in one of the three full hookup sites that are a few hundred yards away from the main campground sites.  These three sites have a separate access road off the main highway and are more antiquated with no hard surfacing on the access road and parking spots.  Access in mud might be a problem.  The trees blocked satellite TV access too.  We had to move 15 feet to receive TV signals.  Also, at that time there was no phone service without a short drive SW to Prospect.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 05:42:52 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 05:53:21 PM »
If you look at the Crater Lake web cams, you will see that there is snow on the ground there now.  The roads are clear but with the storms coming in next week, you might want to plan your trip for some other time.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 11:04:35 PM »
We went from Henderson's Line-up shop in Grant's Pass to Crater Lake via the 234/62 roads the fourth of November last.  The RV park in Prospect wasn't bad.  Could've used some tree-trimming here and there, but it was tolerable.  As others mention, this is not country for depending on cell service;  We were 100 feet from the office, but I had to stand on the office porch to get cell reception because of the very narrow geographical tower alignment.  I know this isn't your route, but offer Prospect's options as they had a good cafĂ© in town and another popular one a few miles north on the way to the Natl. Park.

There'd been snow at Crater Lake, but we took our Explorer toad for a day trip without much trouble.  The road was icy in spots and a few shallow drifts.  The Rim Drive however was closed, so we could only make it as far as the lodge, which was also closed for the season.  Still some great views, esp. at sunset.  Another day trip took us to Diamond Lake. 

Upon leaving Prospect, old hands recommended we not take 62 over to Hwy 97, so we went on 138.  We knew there was some snow as we'd taken that route to Diamond Lake in the toad, but despite some icy spots to be cautious of and drifted packed snow spots between Diamond jxn. and 97, the coach did fine, as it always has in such conditions.

58 from Eugene/Cresswell is a good road.  We have relatives in Springfield and over the decades have travelled it countless times in autos and RV's.  In fact we were near there at Davis and Wickiup Lakes 10 days ago.  Depending on your exact agenda, and of course the weather and conditions on Willamette Pass, you might consider staying at Big Pines RV a mile south of Crescent on 97, and daytripping to Crater Lake out of there.  I believe (from an overheard conversation while at Big Pines) that there is another RV Park at or around Crescent Lake, some 20 miles west of 97 on 58.

Of course regardless of route, dutifully watch forecasts.  Be aware that many venues will be closed for the winter.  A four wheel drive toad will provide some versatility while gunkholing, but don't push your luck in the mountains this time of year.  The sights will be there next year, and aren't worth risky ventures.

-Joel and Lee
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat