Author Topic: Entry door awning stuck closed  (Read 4551 times)

David Privitera

Entry door awning stuck closed
« on: October 10, 2016, 09:23:51 PM »
My Carefree Freedom entry door awning is stuck in the closed position.  I've check everything up to the awning motor (switch, key, wires, etc) and they all test good.  So I'm assuming the issue is with the awning motor.   It's an older model (manufactured prior to September of 2008) so the motor cover screws are hidden when the awning is closed.  From what I've read, the only way to fix the awning is to drill 4 holes in the cover to gain access to the motor, mounting screws, etc.  Replacement motors are sold with covers (part number R001502XXX).  Are there any tests I should try before drilling the cover.  Or are there ways to gain access for disassembly / replacement without putting holes in the old cover?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 09:26:47 PM by David Privitera »

Bob Jae

Re: Entry door awning stuck closed
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 02:54:15 AM »
David I had the same problem.  PJ who is a tech in Elkhart was able to get the cover off without drilling holes.  That saved having a new one painted to match the coach.  He did make or modify some allen wrenches to get it off and cut one screw.  What he found was that the motor was jammed with road grit and seeds and everything else you run into driving down the road.  He cleaned everything and showed me that it worked just fine.  The covers were put back on and sealed to try to keep the motor clean.  Its been a year and its still working fine.  The charge was one hour of labor.

Jim Edwards

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 03:04:48 PM »
Hi Mine failed as well. The motor and gear box was frozen and fabric was failing. We decided to replace it with a new one awning.  Motor replacement and fabric replacement were a substantial % of the cost of the new unit. Also not all parts are available for the old style and the new style can be more easily worked on. Shade Pro was able to do it at a FMCA rally for a reasonable price and it wired into existing switches. It is not the coach color but it is black and goes well with the existing paint scheme.

Just food for thought.   
Jim Edwards
2005 Monterey Laguna III, 40 ft Cat C9
2007 Country Coach Affinity 45 ft Cummins 600
15 Grand Cherokee

David Privitera

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 11:11:45 PM »
Thanks Bob!  Do you have PJ's contact info?  I'd like to see if he can talk me through the process.

Bob Jae

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 04:45:52 AM »
PJ has moved from ESS here is his new contact info

PJ McGann
Service Writer
Pro Custom Inc.
29079 County Road 20
Elkhart, IN 46517
574-217-0399

David Privitera

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 02:05:45 PM »
Hi Bob,  I spoke with PJ and have the general gist of what he did.  Hopefully I'll get to take a shot at doing the work this week.  I'll keep you posted.
Thanks again, Dave

Bob Jae

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 08:10:09 PM »
Great hope yours is the same problem, saves lots of money.  Good Luck