Author Topic: 2000 Marquis Amethyst Girard Awning  (Read 3361 times)

Jeremy Parrett

2000 Marquis Amethyst Girard Awning
« on: December 28, 2016, 11:16:02 PM »
 My large passenger side Girard awning has split.  The material has also worn through in 2 small areas.  It is 16 years old. I think it is time to replace the awning material.  I have been told by Girard that the older plastic housing electric motor usually breaks when the roller is removed.
 Has anyone successfully replaced the 20 ft awning on an older Marquis and or replaced the motor as well ??

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: 2000 Marquis Amethyst Girard Awning
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 12:48:13 AM »
Jeremy
We had trouble with the Gerrard awning on our '98.  We were at an FMCA rally and Andre was there.
First he said that the awning cover (ours was striped green and white) usualy lasts 10 years.  He was surprised that the original was still in good shape. 
Second he said that the awnings of that era were assembled with a motor that was less than spec from their supplier.  There was a big law suit about that nylon geared motor.  He suggested replacement ASAP because when the nylon gears strip, you might be going down the road and have it come unwound.
Also just FYI.  There is info on this forum about thread used in some awning covers not holding up and seams pulling apart after replacement. 
For my money, the risk isnt worth a little savings to buy a knock off.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Michael Peters

Re: 2000 Marquis Amethyst Girard Awning
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 05:50:14 PM »
Hi Jeremy, I had the same issue with mine,summer/16. I removed it myself took it in to an awning shop in Reno. They restitched the whole awning, one of the seams had pulled apart completely. When they finished it was aproximately 2" narrower,but that hasn't caused any issues.I reinstalled myself.No problem. I'm aware of the motor issue but haven't addressed that yet. The complete awning assembly needs to be removed to replace the motor,which would best be done at Girard. Any questions give me a call. Mike
PS The restitch was $250. Much better than replacement.