Author Topic: Engine smokes  (Read 4003 times)

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Engine smokes
« on: October 13, 2016, 04:45:31 AM »
Our new C13 smokes, alot!
On start up there will be a puff of black smoke and then light clouds of white / grey smoke.  This does clear after a bit and it will run clean for a time but sitting at an idle it will return to smoking.  We are not talking about dense smoke but light clouds can be seen wafting up and over the coach.  This cant be much fun for folks parked next to us.

Thanks for the suggestions
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Re: Engine smokes
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 05:09:55 AM »
Keith, you did not break it all ready, Carol does not have everything unpacked. When are we going
to see you again so I can put Cat ET on your engine. From what you are saying sounds like a leaking
Injector. Black smoke at start diesel fuel in cylinder than after overfuel clears out now the white/blue
smoke which indicates a injector not firing correct. You need to remind people at Bend being you
just bought MH it need to go to Caterpillar. Before I go to far on subject is this just happening at
startup when cold and clearing out in about 15 minutes. If answer is yes than your engine is in
The cold mode and after warm up 154 DEG F smoke and missing sound will go away.
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 09:09:43 AM »
Dave
I drove about 1 hour at highway speed.  I stopped to talk to friend and let her idle.  The smoke started after just a couple minutes of idling.  I dont notice a miss sound.
Tomorrow we are pulling out of here quickly to avoid a storm but I will try to get better temperature readings.
Leaking injectors?  What might cause that?
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 01:28:00 PM »
Keith, before I start guessing can you give the C-13 engine s/n because you may have
Re-gen setup and that will change your problem on what is happening. Did not think about
that when answered your post thinking you have C-12. If that is the case will need to relate
how the Re-gen operates and what to understand. Will get back with you this eve. Dave

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 07:33:42 AM »
Will do Dave as soon as this big storm is over.  Lol
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!