Author Topic: Appreciate Advice  (Read 6249 times)

Robin Goffrier

Appreciate Advice
« on: October 19, 2016, 04:19:49 PM »
My wife and I departed Bend, Oregon Sept 6 and headed west to the Beaver Rally at the Flight Museum in McMinnville.  Was out first rally and a great time. We then took up an easterly heading and are now in Norfolk, VA where we will be until we fly home for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  We plan to return and continue the trip around the country in early January.  My question is this:  The coach must be stored for about 45 - 50 days and its likely to get cold, which means either inside storage or at least storage with power or winterize.  I've only owned the Beaver for a year and last winter had it winterized locally in Bend ...... where there are ample individuals and service centers very familiar with Beavers and their systems.  What are your thoughts?  Is it likely that a local firm would understand the Marquis fresh water and Aquahot systems?  Or should I seek indoor or powered storage?  Thanks.
Robin G

Doug Allman

Re: Appreciate Advice
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 06:06:02 PM »
In my humble opinion due to having a 2004 Marquis I would either secure inside storage with temp above freezing or make sure you know the firm that says they can winterize for you understands the systems in a Beaver totally.
We had a 1991 Beaver and when we purchased the 2004 in 2012 we thought we knew how to winterize (we live in Northern Michigan). Next spring we fixed the multiple leaks in the Aqua Hot.
As Gerald Farris will tell you, store it below I-10 and you will have not have to winterize.
Blowing it out as in other less sophisticated units does not work, at least from our experience. If ours is not below I-10 we keep it in our heated storage bay at home now at a minimum temp of 50 degrees.
Not only does the liquids freeze but it does not do any favors for the finish on your Beavers woodwork and joints.

Neal E Weinmann

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 12:51:31 AM »
Where do you anticipate traveling on the east coast in January? Hard to fathom east coast winter weather making touring enjoyable anywhere BUT below I-10. And even at that it can be brisk in the Florida panhandle and surrounds. On our trip south right after Christmas two years ago we had two nights in freezing temps in St. Augustine! Even NC, SC & GA beaches will be chilly. If you are storing anywhere north of Florida, getting winterized seems prudent, but storing it plugged in will maintain it more ready to use with minimum work, and will keep the batteries charged.
2005 Monterey Bayview IV
CAT C9 400HP
2018 Ford Edge Titanium

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 02:10:45 AM »
Robin
IMHO it is better safe than sorry.  You dont want to replace the Aquahot. 
Here is how we winterized our 02 Marquis.
turn all the low point drains on and open all the faucets.  First do the cold side and then the hot.  This will allow the drains to drain fully.
disconect the input side of the water pump and connect a 3 ft hose and fitting.  I believe it is a std. Hose fitting.  Put the hose in a bucket of RV fresh water antifreeze and open one cold faucet,at a time this time with the pump on.  Go back and open the low point drains as well.  Be sure pink antifreeze is dark pink coming out before turning that faucet or low point drain off.  Then do the hot side as well.  Let the hot side run plenty.  When the hoses into and out of the aquahot  fresh water show dark pink through the transparent hose you are almost done.
Start a wash cycle to get the pink in there and run the ice maker until the hose is pink.
Lastly pour 1/2 a cup down each drain to protect the P trap.
Reconnect the water pump and leave a small electric heater inside set on around 40 deg.  This is good back up and will cut down on moisture

Double rinse the entire system and replace the ice maker filter when dewinterizing.

Good luck and I hope this helps..
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Robin Goffrier

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 02:07:33 PM »
Follow-up.  I found a couple of possibilities and finally signed on the one that seems to fit our situation best. In the end, it came down to 2 storage facilities.  One was close and an enclosed individual stall with electricity. it was about $450 per month.  The other and one I went with is a warehouse/manufacturing facility about 100 miles north.  It was a building originally used in a steel rolling operation but now converted to toy storage.  The temp is controlled and will eliminate the concern of freezing.  There is yet no AC power available.  The cost is $6/foot/month and our time was determined by the total number of days which will be about 50, half of Nov, all of Dec and part of Jan when we'll return and head south.  As a point of interest, we are currently staying a month at a park on the grounds of Fort Monroe, Virginia.  Its in Hampton just north of Norfolk.  It was initially fortified in 1609, is surrounded by a mote and the largest stone fort ever built in the US.  It has guarded the Chesapeake through the Revolutionary War, Civil War and was an active Army installation until its decommissioning in 2011.  Upon his graduation from West Point Lt Robert E Lee was assigned here to design and build much of the housing which is primarily brick and in great condition today.  At the end of the Civil War Confederate President Jefferson Davis was held here 2 years living in one of the converted gun casements.  Its now a National Historic Site and right on the Chesapeake shore within the forts confines is the Colonies RV Park.  For the month we are paying about $20/night with full hookups.  Great base from which to explore this area of the country.

Neal E Weinmann

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 11:32:52 PM »
Sounds like you're staying at an interesting and historic venue. Enjoy! And your storage venue sounds like a good deal. Only part of the equation that needs to fall into place at the right time will be temperate winter weather on the east coast in January that will allow you to make your way south without incident. Hope it all works out well for you. Happy Holidays!
2005 Monterey Bayview IV
CAT C9 400HP
2018 Ford Edge Titanium