Author Topic: Wet Service Brakes??  (Read 3014 times)

David Handley

Wet Service Brakes??
« on: October 20, 2016, 10:57:24 PM »
Had no choice but to traverse a shallow, but wide, stream of water across an interstate access road on my last trip.  The water was certainly not a foot deep, but close.  For the next 1000 feet or so I rode the brakes to dry them, but a 100 miles later when I pulled off the interstate, I noted a grinding, scraping sound from what sounded like the right front wheel area.  A visual inspection revealed nothing and there was no heat buildup in any of the wheel assemblies.  I didn't note that the effectiveness of the braking was diminished either. The sound would almost go away when I applied the service brakes, but not without that noise you hear when a brake is dragging.  I'm back home after 1200 miles and the noise is still there.  Folks at my go-to RV repair facility described the problem perfectly--noise at low speeds but not at higher ones--said moisture builds up in the ceramic brake pads and is almost impossible to get rid of.  Also said that for a measly $700-ish dollars they would pull the wheels, scrub the linings and treat them with some magic stuff designed to pull the moisture from the pads.  Guaranteed to work??--not exactly--maybe yes, maybe no.  You guys ever have this happen?

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Wet Service Brakes??
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 12:03:32 AM »
Years ago I checked my front disc brakes on a Ford pickup I owned.  To my surprise there was a 3/4" diameter roundish rock lodged in the brake caliper.  I don't remember hearing a noise or it having an adverse effect on the braking.  The rock was about have gone with a very smooth, shiny surface on one side.

Good to know... don't drive through a creek or pond.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Doug Allman

Re: Wet Service Brakes??
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 06:44:58 PM »
David, I would certainly recommend talking to Gerald Farris before I spent any money. He is very knowledgeable about these brakes.