Author Topic: Front shocks  (Read 4845 times)

Al Lewis

Front shocks
« on: October 07, 2016, 06:29:50 PM »
My 02 Monterey came with Monroe shocks. After about 10 years of use I replaced them with new Monroe. I could not confirm the old ones to be bad and the new ones did not improve the ride. A friend with a Winnebago had switched to Bilstien and liked the result. I do not find Bilstien for my application. The parts person locally said KYB shocks were available and a step up from Monroe. I have not heard of them.

What has been your experience to improve ride?  I am looking at front shocks only at this point.

Robert Richmond

Re: Front shocks
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 02:30:05 AM »
Al-I have the same chassis configuration as you- Call me 626-824-8417   Bob Richmond 2000 Beaver Monterey Seacliff double slide manufactured June 2000.  I have researched this chassis and found out we have something totally different than Safari published in catalogs and manuals. It's too much info to type. I have found the right shocks for it.  Bob

Al Lewis

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 07:55:24 PM »
Bob Richmond gave me a lot of information and steered me in what I think is the right direction. His research came up with a monroe 65108. It is mechanically very close to the original 66878. The new one has a very soft compression and very stiff extension. The theory is that this diminishes porpoising. The price was about $65 and readily avaible from the local auto parts store (and they gave me money back for the old shocks).  Beaver sales likes the Koni shocks at about $220 each.

In the process I found that my front ride height was too high. I adjusted it down 2 inches. Made a trip to. Illinois and back. I believe the ride is be tter now. My wife did not bounce out of the seat but still wants it to ride like her Cadillac I guess. I try to convince her it is a truck. With two solid axles there is a lot of unspring weight and bumps still rattle things.

Project closed fo now . Many thanks to Bob.

Doug Allman

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 12:59:33 PM »
IMHO I think you will find that most every reputable shop, Beaver Sales - Hendersons, etc., will turn to KONI shocks as the best on the market today for an RV of the Beaver caliber. Yes they are pricey but they do return for that price the best handling and ride possible for many thousands of miles on a 30,000 - 50,000 lb unit
I believe it was Safari or Monaco that shifted Beaver from Koni to others as they probably saved $ where most buyers never looked or knew what to look for. Gerald would know if Beaver ever used other than Koni's.
In my experience if you ever hold any other shock next to a KONI you will know they are going to be different. We have been asking KONI for years to make one for the F-250/350 series as we have tried everything including Bilstiens and none hold up more than 15000 miles or give the handling of a KONI. The feel good new is not the true test.
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley