Author Topic: Entry Step  (Read 5704 times)

Steven Harper

Entry Step
« on: September 21, 2010, 01:17:52 AM »
We have a 2008 Beaver Contessa.  The "Step Out" Light on our dash stays on all the time.  Looking under the entry step I have found the wire has loosened from the step and is just hanging.  I am trying to determine where I need to reattach the wire to the bottom of the step.  Someone told me there is a magnet that it needs touch.  I can't seem to find a magnet anywhere.  Can someone tell me what it looks like or where I might find it and how I should align them.  Should the wire and magnet be aligned together when step is in or out.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You
Karen
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 04:48:48 AM by 14 »

George Harwell

Re: Entry Step
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 03:35:25 PM »

Karen, On my 03 Monterey there is a magnet on the screen door near the bottom aft side that meets with the switch which is attached to the door frame. It sounds like the wire from the switch has been pulled out and needs to be reattached to the switch. Find the switch and see if it has the wire attached. What color is the disconnected wire?

Tom and Pat Fudale

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 03:36:15 PM »
There should be a magnetic switch attached to the step.  It probably felloff.  I replaced mine with a house window magnet alarm switch and it works fine.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 05:10:38 PM by 14 »

Steven Harper

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 08:32:54 PM »
The wire hanging down (actually two wires) are grey and attached to the end is a white plastic piece about an inch long.  There is a piece of white sticky stuff on the bottom of the step under the coach which is where it was attached I believe.  Even if I try to stick it back on there the light does not go out.

When you say switch what do you mean.  Like a light switch type thing?  Sorry I am so dense.  Just not sure what I'm looking for.

Thanks

Karen

George Harwell

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 10:11:51 PM »
Karen, attach the switch to the step in the location you mentioned and secure it with some tape. Then turn the ignition on and close the entry door. Ensure the step retracts and see if the light goes out. If it works then clean the old sticky off the step and switch so it can be r
reattached with double sided tape. Good luck. The switch is the little gadget that the wires are attached to. It is actuated by a magnet .

Steven Harper

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 01:01:56 AM »
Tom,  If I replace like  you did,  how exactly do I do that.  I am assuming you used one of those door alarms that chime when door is opened.  Do I do some rewiring??

Karen

Tom and Pat Fudale

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 12:49:21 AM »
Karen, you probably can get a new magnetic switch from Kwikee that makes the step. I just happened to have a alarm switch lying around. If you get a new switch it will have two parts. Both plastic, one will have two terminals on it to attach the two wires, the other will be the magnet part and the one with the terminals is to be attached to the frame of the step. I used epoxy. The magnet part is to be attached to the step so that when the step is closed these two will be side by side so that the magnet can cause the part with the two terminals to open the circuit and turn out your warning light. If you decide to try to find an  house burglar alarm magnetic switch it will have to be one for a closed circuit system.