Author Topic: Driver's Side Window Leak Fixed - Conclusion  (Read 3952 times)

Mike Groves

Driver's Side Window Leak Fixed - Conclusion
« on: June 19, 2015, 02:38:47 PM »
All,

I had posted earlier about a driver's side window leak I'd been chasing since I purchased my coach 9/2013.  I did check the front roof top marker lamps, but nothing from there.  I'd plugged the front weep holes thinking those were allowing water in, but still had the leak even with light dew here at Pacific Shores.

Finally, and I think someone wrote about this, maybe months or years back, I took off the top trim piece which covers the front cap to sidewall fiberglass seam, and oh boy, the lower 1-2 inches of that seem was missing its original caulk.  So, on the '99 Marquis the gutter ends right at the point where that trim piece starts.  Water slipping out of the gutter runs right down that piece, and probably enters through the screw holes.  Someone had even plugged the gutter on that end but I'd removed that, and did notice that the leak was worsened.

At any rate, since patching that a couple days ago, no more water from the heavy dew, and no water after having washed the roof which produced a lot of water in the gutter.

I think that a lot of times here on the forum I've seen problems presented but the eventual solutions are sometimes not shown.  I wanted to go back to the thread where I'd posted this problem, but couldn't find it, so I wanted to post a conclusion which might help others, especially those with 98 and 99 Marquis with Magnum Chassis where the front driver's side gutter water runs right down that trim.

Mike
The following users thanked this post: Mike Collins, Keith Moffett, Carol Moffett

Greg Kamper

Re: Driver's Side Window Leak Fixed - Conclusion
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 05:55:59 PM »
Iknow that this is an old post... but, I'm glad I found it. I have the same problem after a heavy rain. Now I know where to look!

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 09:35:13 PM »
I also had a bad leak that the previous owner failed to fix. It was on the passenger side piece of rail cover that is over the front cap to side wall connection point. There had been a leak there for a long, long time.

I had to remove the carpet inside the side wall and the floor. The wall and floor were water damaged so I had to replace a floor and wall section and reglue the carpet.

To fix the outside section I had to remove the short piece of rail cover and clean and seal that area, then reinstall the rail sealing it back in place with new screws.

No issues since I did that. I have replaced the front amber marker lights twice now because of the sun cracking the tops of them. That is an area to keep an eye on....if your rv is outside all the time.

Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Mike Groves

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 01:47:00 PM »
Since originally posting this I am now again fighting a leak on the driver's window.  I can easily push a credit card in under the frame so I suspect that I probably need to remove/reinstall the window or at least tighten it to the coach a bit.  In severe rain there is once again leaking.

Mike