Author Topic: MOSQUITOS  (Read 4499 times)

jeffprupis

MOSQUITOS
« on: November 23, 2016, 07:42:28 PM »
What are some of the time tested methods for avoiding mosquitos? Been FTing 3 months and every is great except mosquitos. I've solved the general bug problem but these little buggers are keeping us indoors too much HELP??

Edward Buker

Re: MOSQUITOS
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 08:18:16 PM »
This article is from tests by Consumer Reports and was looking at mosquitoes that carry Zeka Virus but I think they will work for well for other types. Beyond a repellent that you wear personally there are some propane units that attract and kill them but I do not have personal experience with those units.

http://www.consumerreports.org/insect-repellents/mosquito-repellents-that-best-protect-against-zika/?loginMethod=auto

Later Ed

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 10:27:23 PM »
I'm not sure the octagenol device I got 10 years ago was worth it;  seems to trap more moths and a sundry other bugs than mosquitos.  As a homeowner I've gone to using Bacillus thurengensis granules in street storm drains and other summer standing water near our house with some affect. 

But neither of those are solutions for someone on the move, or close to a large body of water.  For decades Tiki torches and candles of citronella have been used by many, including us, but tests I've read about indicate that's not really all that effective either, and my experience agrees;  wind direction is too critical anyway I think.  Some say certain B vitamins in your system will put them off, but I'm not too convinced.  The female mosquitos are attracted from some distance to CO2 we exhale... reckon holding your breath your entire time outside is out of the question :) .

The two things that work for us are Deet repellents on our exposed skin, of course, and the "bug-off" clothing available from some retailers like Orvis and Cabela's.

-Joel

Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Robert Wagner

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 12:24:28 PM »
Do some research on essential oils for repelling them. My wife uses some concoction that works really well. I truly hate those little annoying insects. Just when your falling a sleep you hear that dreadful buzzzzzzzzzzz