Author Topic: shocks for 2006 Thunder  (Read 5075 times)

Paul Champagne

• BAC Member
shocks for 2006 Thunder
« on: December 06, 2016, 07:10:52 PM »
Hello

We are looking to replace our shocks on the Bus as it is now 10 years old and was wondering if Bilstein or Koni is the best options out there? Also not sure how many we have on our coach with the tag axle.

Thanks for your help

Paul Champagne F121185
2006 Patriot Thunder
C13 525 hp

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
Re: shocks for 2006 Thunder
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 12:45:53 AM »
Possibly your shocks are still fine. If there is no indication of any leaks or damage you may not need them. Our Beaver is a 2001 and the shocks are still fine.
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 03:00:12 PM »
Paul,
Like LaMonte said, you may be incurring an unnecessary expense in replacing the 10 shocks on your coach just because they are 10 years old. Shocks are not a preventive maintenance item, and they should only be replaced if your are trying to repair an issue with a leaking or broken shock or you have a ride or control issue problem that your are addressing.

However, if you are replacing the shocks to repair a problem, your options are either Bilstein or Koni. Bilstein is the original equipment shock that your coach came with, and Koni is an upgrade for a higher control rate at a higher price. So if you are happy with the way your coach rides, but you have one leaking shock, you should replace only that one with a new Bilstein, but if you are trying to repair a ride issue like porpoising, you probably should only replace the 4 front shocks with Koni shocks to gain the added control that the Koni shocks will give you.

Gerald             

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 05:22:39 PM »
Paul we also have an 06 PT.  I had a failure on a rear tag axial and did replace both sides of the tag with new Bilstein. The ride has always been fine in our rig and the Bilstien shock do carry a life time warranty. I did change my front shocks 2 years ago with the Koni and I did notice an improvement in the front ride. I see no reason to change your shocks unless you have an issue.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Paul Champagne

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 03:34:17 AM »
Thanks for all the information I will check to see if any of our shocks are leaking then go from there our ride seems fine but could just be getting used to it!!

Much appreciated

Paul
2006 Patriot Thunder
C13 525 hp