Author Topic: Basement air conditioner  (Read 3519 times)

Culver Miller

Basement air conditioner
« on: November 24, 2016, 04:52:59 PM »
I'm still trying to locate a replacement AC unit for my 1987 beaver Marquis. It's a duo therm model # 56915. Any information on where i can find a replacement would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone know if a unit can be fixed if the compressor is locked up.
Thanks
Culver miller

Gerald Farris

Re: Basement air conditioner
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 02:39:45 PM »
Culver,
I am not familiar with your basement A/C unit, but I doubt that a new unit is available. The basement SCS A/C unit in my 2000 Marquis stopped production in 2010 and there have been no new replacements available since then. However, the individual parts to repair the unit are still readily available. You just need to find an A/C repair company that is willing to work on the unit. I used the same company that BCS uses for SCS basement A/C repairs the last time that my unit needed repairs, and I recommend their work. It would probably be worth giving them a call, especially if you are going to be in Oregon.  http://www.griffinheatingandcooling.com/

Gerald     

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Basement air conditioner
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 11:00:20 PM »
Jeff at Bend RV Repair told me this summer that often it's not the compressor that's kaput, but rather the Start Capacitor, and that there are kits available for repairing that.  Because it's usually considered more practical to replace an entire AC in lieu of a compressor, many people erroneously do that when it was just the Start Capacitor, a much less expensive fix.

I haven't had time to look into that any further with our malfunctioning roof air yet, but you might research into it being a possible scenario for your particular unit, Culver.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat